What's the difference ?

Reaction score
From my experience gas convection ovens bake differently from electric convection ovens... Can anyone tell me why and how ?

Reaction score
All I knew and based from my own experience a gas oven is more convenient to use than an electric oven for reason that the heat is circulated evenly in a gas oven which makes baking more fulfilling or satisfying. .

Reaction score
Gas ovens cook faster than electric ones.

As far as convection ovens go though, they should both bake about the same, because of the fan(s) circulating the air inside the oven. Aside from that, I know gas ovens bake faster than electric ones.

Reaction score
I actually never had luck to make the best of gas oven. My pick is electric one because the gas doesn't go around in the oven. It has a burner usually only on top side of the oven and it makes the baking difficult, especially if you are baking bread. I was working in big kitchens of some big hotels and gas was used only for stoves and grills. Ovens were always electrical. The best ones are of course those old ones that use wood as fuel.

Reaction score
I've always cooked with a gas oven, and it gets the baking job done every time. Not so sure what advantages there would be to using a electric convection oven.

Reaction score
I have never used an electric oven, so far I've used only a gas one, and let me tell you so far I have more complaints. Gas is cheaper and more efficient in my opinion. Sadly in the new house we only have an electric one, but I don't plan to cook anything in it anytime soon, I don't want to end up with a big bill...

Reaction score
I have never used an electric oven, so far I've used only a gas one, and let me tell you so far I have more complaints. Gas is cheaper and more efficient in my opinion. Sadly in the new house we only have an electric one, but I don't plan to cook anything in it anytime soon, I don't want to end up with a big bill...

Well, I will let you in on a secret to using electric ovens.

If you are going to use it, make it count! Bake a LOT of stuff at once, don't just stick a casserole or something in there. Bake bread, casserole, a chicken, a pie, and whatever else will fit in there! Cram that sucker with anything you want to bake. If you bake once a month like this, then your electric bill wont be "hit" that hard.

Reaction score
Well, I will let you in on a secret to using electric ovens.

If you are going to use it, make it count! Bake a LOT of stuff at once, don't just stick a casserole or something in there. Bake bread, casserole, a chicken, a pie, and whatever else will fit in there! Cram that sucker with anything you want to bake. If you bake once a month like this, then your electric bill wont be "hit" that hard.

Thank you :D I was actually kind of depressed about that, because I really wanted to bake something in the new house for my husband :) But I was like: ''Oh yeah, I forgot that thing is electric''. Thanks, I will try to make it count and plan the baking session of the month well.

Reaction score
it won't make that big of a difference in your electric bill trellum,,I don't worry about it at all,especially when the temperature outside is cool or cold,i think it helps cut down on the electric furnace running then :)

Reaction score
it won't make that big of a difference in your electric bill trellum,,I don't worry about it at all,especially when the temperature outside is cool or cold,i think it helps cut down on the electric furnace running then :)

It does make a difference to some. If I use my oven to bake one item for 45 minutes to an hour, it add's $20 to my electric bill. Same thing if I use the dishwasher, which I never do. If I use the dishwasher once, even on light/short cycle, it add's $10 to my electric bill.

So, if I ever do bake in the big oven (I usually use a small countertop oven), I try and do it when I'm going to bake several things, so I don't end up with an extra $60+ added to my electric bill.

Reaction score
oooh I didn't realize it was that expensive,where are you at ? I'm in East Tennessee in the States,I do most of my everyday baking in a toaster oven,instead of using the big one,come to think of it,I need another one of those too,mine will barely make toast anymore,it was a freebie from a friend years ago and it was well used before I got it,it has to be around 15 to 20 years old

now you make me want to buy another cake pan,since I only have the one lol

Reaction score
oooh I didn't realize it was that expensive,where are you at ? I'm in East Tennessee in the States,I do most of my everyday baking in a toaster oven,instead of using the big one,come to think of it,I need another one of those too,mine will barely make toast anymore,it was a freebie from a friend years ago and it was well used before I got it,it has to be around 15 to 20 years old

now you make me want to buy another cake pan,since I only have the one lol

I live in the Dallas, Texas area.
I used to cook in toaster ovens, then I graduated to counter top toaster/rotisserie ovens which are larger, and now I have a counter top convection oven. I use it for pretty much everything I bake for myself. If I make something for someone else, then I will use the big oven, because it bakes more even....but I don't bake for anyone anymore really, not unless they have a special request.

Reaction score
that sounds more like what I need, will it do a pone of cornbread in a cast Iron skillet ? or a 2 quart casserole dish ? I could save some money with one of those,other than I have absolutely no counter space,this one is sitting on top of the micro wave now :)

Reaction score
that sounds more like what I need, will it do a pone of cornbread in a cast Iron skillet ? or a 2 quart casserole dish ? I could save some money with one of those,other than I have absolutely no counter space,this one is sitting on top of the micro wave now :)

Like toaster ovens, there are different sizes and different types for what you want to use them for.
I don't cook in cast iron, but I have cooked cornbread in a cake pan in it before and it came out fine.

Basically, if you get one that is big enough to hold a whole turkey, it is big enough for regular use.

Depending on the style, options, and manufacturer....they can cost anywhere from $50.00 to $5,000.

This is the one I have......its several years old and still going....
HW1-1022-differ-a1.JPG

And the best part is, it doesn't make my electric meter spin like a tornado!!!

And these don't HAVE to go on the counter.....they can be placed on bakers carts, microwave carts, or small tables. Just make sure they are very sturdy and can take heat.

Ask a Question