When to take the paddle out

Reaction score
I have a Russell Hobbs 23620 bread maker. All the bread I have made is fantastic - but I hate the hole the paddle makes! Does anyone know what time the bake starts - so I can remove the paddle and bake without it?

P.s. I used honey instead of sugar and the bread is really delicious.

K

kevin_000

I have a Russell Hobbs 23620 bread maker. All the bread I have made is fantastic - but I hate the hole the paddle makes! Does anyone know what time the bake starts - so I can remove the paddle and bake without it?

Hi Max
Yup. that hole is a pain.

I don't know that particular machine. Does it have a dough only cycle?

I often use my bread machine to knock the dough up and then I finish it by hand and bake it in the oven.

This allows me to:

Use loads of steam to get a seriously crackly crust.

Bake freeform shapes.

use different finishes like glazes and seeds.

And, of course, to place the dough in an ordinary bread tin (you call them pans?) to bake without a hole.

The trick is not to completely knock the bread back when its removed from the bread machine, but to shape it gently retaining most of the gas. Remember, it has already proofed once. Also it can take anything from 30 min to an hour to [roof the second time.

I do hope this is helpful. I find the extra work really very much worth it.

K

kevin_000

Sorry I missed the key point.

Good bread machines have temperature sensors. They vary the time of each cycle to get a good result, but always to complete the bake on time.

You could sit next to your machine and make a note of when it completes the last kneading cycle. It would give you a rough time.

Good luck.

Reaction score

Pull the paddle before the final rise.

Reaction score

when the timer gets down to 1h 40min just after the final spin on the paddle

Reaction score
I also dislike the amount of my loaf which is extracted by the sloping paddle which is anything but non-stick.
I've tried removing the paddle after 1h 40mins but this always leads to the loaf top collapsing.
Now, I just live with the hole.

Reaction score

Reaction score
I make french loaf every day in RUssell Hobbs Compact, if you put out the paddle at 2:01 on the timer that is when the final turn of the paddle happens.

Reaction score
when the timer gets down to 1h 40min just after the final spin on the paddle

[/QU

How much honey, please?

Ask a Question