Which ICING to use when baking?

Reaction score
Have you ever been in somewhat of a conundrum, why? All because you've gotten to the point where you've more or less "mastered" this "baking thing", but you still don't know if you're completely sure about what type of icing to use, based on the type of treat that you are baking?

Well, stress no more! There's actually an icing chart out there! Have you seen or heard of it? It's meant to guide your choices when you need to find out what's the best icing to use for the pastry of your baking.

(http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/icing-chart.cfm)

What's your opinion on this? Do you know of any other ways to get a good idea of which icing type you should use when you bake?

icing.jpg

Reaction score
Wow, I think that's awesome! The OCD in me loves it! lol, seriously though, I'm a big fan of helpful charts and such..at least while you're getting a feel for it, I think after a bit you learn to just go with your gut for what works and experiment around a little more, but it is helpful to 'learn the rules' before you break them, so to speak.

Reaction score
Ahhh! I'm so glad that you caught the trend, and saw where I was going with this (I have a little OCD in me too, to be honest!).
I love helpful charts as well, they really break down, step by step, the technicalities and principles behind the processes that we undertake in the kitchen, and help us to understand and appreciate why it is that we are doing what we are doing!
It's great to start out knowing the facts, as you say, because often we go in, thinking we know it all, and then something goes terribly and "un-fixably" wrong, if you get where I'm heading with this.
We should invest some time, effort and research into finding out "how the actual, prescribed method goes" before it is that we decide to make our own "from scratch" versions of it!
Thanks for your valuable input, as always JessiFox!

Ask a Question