Why is my burnt basque cheesecake not burnt on top?

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently attempted to make a Burnt Basque Cheesecake, and while it turned out delicious, I encountered an unexpected issue - it wasn't burnt on top.
I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this or have some insights into why this might have happened.

Reaction score
If your basque cheesecake isn't burnt on top, the parchment paper may be shading the cheesecake from the heat or your oven runs cool.

Reaction score
The lack of a burnt top on your Basque Cheesecake could be due to a few factors:

Oven Temperature: Make sure your oven is properly preheated and set to the correct temperature, with the top heating element on. This will help to create the burnt appearance.

Cooking Time: If you removed the cake from the oven too early, it may not have had enough time to develop the burnt top. Basque Cheesecake should be baked for the full amount of time specified in the recipe, or until the top is caramelized.

Pan Size: The size and material of your pan can also affect the cooking time and appearance of the cheesecake. A wider, shallower pan may help to create a more even, non-burnt surface.

Ingredients: The ratio of ingredients and their temperature can also affect the outcome. It is important to use room temperature ingredients and follow a trusted recipe.

Position in the Oven: Placing the cake on a higher rack in the oven can help to achieve a more burnt effect.

Remember, it is a delicate balance between achieving a burnt top and overcooking the cheesecake. Adjust these factors and try again until you achieve the desired result.

Ask a Question