Am I the onle one who doesn't let kids play in the kitchen?

Reaction score
A kitchen can be a dangerous place, sure. That's why I think it's preferable to teach kids as early as possible about those possible dangers and how to help out in the safest way, showing them how to handle big bowls and kitchen tools. Kids -- they just love to help out. It's exciting and rewarding, and it helps build their sense of self and self-confidence much more than compliments and encouragement can. You can tell your kid s/he's great, but you can also let him/her help out and realize how much s/he can get done! I know all the kids I've let helped me baking showed great enthusiasm, and most of all, they were so proud of themselves. I would not trade this away. And this is something I want to give to my kids, too.

Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you mean by "play". I won't let my kids actually play in my kitchen while I am cooking. But, I do let them experiment with cooking in the kitchen. They will start by making pancakes and want to add different ingredients. I let them add all kinds of things and it has taught them a lot about what works and doesn't work. When I just tell them no they don't usually believe me so I will allow them to try it themselves. Plus its fun to see their faces when they try the things they throw together.

Reaction score
I guess I have to pick my battles with twin toddlers so yes, they definitely play in the kitchen. That being said, if I am frying something, or have lots of dishes going in and out of the oven, I will encourage them to sit at the table rather than running around or generally being under foot. I know that when I was growing up the kitchen was the heart of our house and being able to watch someone cook or bake was a nice way to spend time together and pick up skills and a passion for cooking early on.

Reaction score
I am back at the subject again. I hear there is baking competition on for kids on one of the networks. I have not seen it yet but I had seen a cooking competition for kids quite recently and was not sure what to make of it. Kids competing at the age can be tricky.

I guess the fact that the thread said "playing" still throws a different spin on the subject. I still maintain, no playing. Help out where they can. By all means.

I like your post Vicky.

Reaction score
I'm with you guys and gals on this; I prefer to make sure the kids are either helping or at the very least not being annoying and trashing the kitchen while you try to prepare something. If they can't abide by those two roles, they get the boot and the door becomes locked. I don't have kids of my own (I babysit for odd jobs and cook) but I'd treat them the same way, like Wintery. I'd ask them to help or go. I like this post too ;)

Reaction score
My grandma felt that same way as the OP, she didn't let my mom help her in the kitchen, EVER. So my mom never really learnt to cook until she was older, and even yet she didn't do it so well (being honest, heh!). As a result I didn't learn to cook early on, had to learn all on my own... thankfully I had the internet to help me. It has helped me ever since :)

Reaction score
I find if I'm only baking in the kitchen, it's ok to have kids in the kitchen. If I'm cooking, it's an off limit zone to everyone.

Same here, I don't even like others adults to be watching me when I cook. That is just a big no no, not even if they offer to help me out! I need space when I cook normal meals ;) Those are stressing, lol.

Reaction score
My grandma felt that same way as the OP, she didn't let my mom help her in the kitchen, EVER. So my mom never really learnt to cook until she was older, and even yet she didn't do it so well (being honest, heh!). As a result I didn't learn to cook early on, had to learn all on my own... thankfully I had the internet to help me. It has helped me ever since :)

:):):):) I am glad you have the internet and you have used it well. I did not realise mummy was not a star cook:):) That makes me smile. I was always in the kitchen with my mom I think. Even if I was not in the kitchen I was watching and taking good notes. I just did not take good notes when it came to baking. Maybe because there was a 'science' to it and I was never strong in that area.

I still wished my son was around me more in the kitchen or that he paid some more attention. I am hoping he can navigate in the kitchen and prepare something besides ramen by the time he is thirty.

Reaction score
Yeah, far from being a star master chef, lol. I actually still make a to things for my mother when I am at home ;) I often tell her it feels more like I'm her mother and she is my little girl, lol. For example, today I made her same rice pudding because she is getting ready for a colonoscopy and will make something else for her later. She could do those things, but she prefers me to do it for her.

Don't worry, once he is on his own he will learn a lot ;) My SO doesn't know to cook so well, has never really helped his parents in the kitchen, but lately has shown me he can at least cook meat, hehehehe. It's so sweet when they try to cook something for you! :p:p:p:p:p:p But we have the internet, your kid will learn, don't worry. After all I did!

Ask a Question