Cast iron skillet cleaning and seasoning

Reaction score
what is peening ? I haven't heard of it and your right on the bacon,I even fried some in a cast iron dutch Oven that I use to have,that was my magic chili maker lol

Peening is the act of using an air pressurized machine to shoot a stream of tiny glass beads or large sand grains to take off something from a metal object. This is used a lot to remove paint from metal, as well as to "soften" the look of a shiny metal, or to get out some rough spots or get rid of rust on anything metal.

A lot of metal working shops have peening equipment. You might call around and see if any local metal working shops have peening equipment and see if they would peen a pan for you.

You can buy your own small peening machine, but its not cost efficient unless you are going to charge people to peen things.

As for the oil "stains" on the pan.......I boil water in the pans that get those. Whatever doesn't come off during the boiling is adhered to the metal.....it is ugly to look at, but you can still use it.

My granny said boiling white vinegar in a pan would get the gunk off the bottom, but I've never tried it.
Be warned, this will smell up your house if you do this!

Reaction score
I got the rust off them with the vinegar soak and the big skillet is working great,i made some flitters in it first and then some bacon for breakfast and nothing stuck,so the seasoning worked really well

if you have never had a flitter all it is,is some water and self rising floured fried in a gob of shortening,sorta like a thick pancake batter

you will really like them or hate them ;)

Ask a Question