Do you make your Cornbread in a cast iron Skillet?

Reaction score
My grandma did. My mother in law did. Lots of people I knew made cornbread in a cast iron skillet.

For the longest time, I didn't own one. I didn't think it mattered. Now, I have three (in different sizes).

It definitely makes a difference for making cornbread. The edges get all nice crisp.

Reaction score
I use either a 9x13 cake or casserole pan, or I used cupcake pans.

My granny used a cast iron skillet for pretty much everything.

Reaction score
I use a cast iron skillet for corn bread,it does brown the bottom and sides really good

Reaction score
I use my Grandparents cast iron cornbread molds that are in the shape of ears of corn. My family loves the tradition.

Reaction score
I had not seen any before these, but I just checked on eBay and there seems to be quite a few.

Reaction score
That's a great idea! I've never seen one of those. Are they quite rare?

there easy to find in the States,or they use to be :)

i use to have a set of them from years ago that i never used and gave them away, I think

Reaction score
My granny had one too, when I was little. I loved eating my "ears of cornbread"!!!! LOL

cast-iron-corn-bread-pan-corn-cobs-by-walterdrake_3285534.jpg

Reaction score
That's a great idea! I've never seen one of those. Are they quite rare?

They're not rare @Becky, maybe they're more common in the U.S. than the UK, because I've seen them for years now in most of the cooking related shops, as well as online.

I don't have a cast iron skillet, so I usually cook cornbread in a cake pan. I tend to make corn muffins more than cornbread, and I'm getting read to make a batch of those this coming week.

Reaction score
I just recently found a small hardware store that carries cast iron skillets, cornbread wedge pans, egg skillets and those ears of cornbread pans! But DAMN are they EXPEN$IVE!!!!

Wow! Almost $20.00 for one of those cornbread ear baking molds!!! Geez!

You can find cast iron on ebay, and I'm sure at other places online as well.
If you want REAL cast iron cookery, be sure and get the American made ones!
Be sure you season your pan before you cook in it!

Here's what the wedge pan looks like...
s-l1000.jpg

Reaction score
Cornbread is actually something I don't make all that often - when I do, I just use a regular baking dish. My mother in law though is southern and definitely uses her cast iron skillet for hers when she makes it! She's a cornbread pro!

Ask a Question