Cheesecake crust

Reaction score
Hello all you sweet bakers! This is my first post. I have many burning questions and am so glad I found you all! My question today relates to a most divine cheesecake I have now made several times. I always get huge compliments on it but I am never satisfied with the crust. It is a Graham cracker crust of nothing more than grahams and butter. My recipe does not call for prebaking the crust. I have always processed the grahams down to very fine crumbs, added the melted butter, pressed into an even layer in the pan then poured in the lovely cheese mixture. The baked cheesecake filling is always delicious. But the crust seems mushy or soggy. Last time I added some pretzels with the grahams and bashed them with my rolling pin. Then I prebaked. Still soggy plus now tastes a little bit burnt. This could be a prize winning cheesecake if someone could give me some pointers on my crust.

Reaction score
Hello all you sweet bakers! This is my first post. I have many burning questions and am so glad I found you all! My question today relates to a most divine cheesecake I have now made several times. I always get huge compliments on it but I am never satisfied with the crust. It is a Graham cracker crust of nothing more than grahams and butter. My recipe does not call for prebaking the crust. I have always processed the grahams down to very fine crumbs, added the melted butter, pressed into an even layer in the pan then poured in the lovely cheese mixture. The baked cheesecake filling is always delicious. But the crust seems mushy or soggy. Last time I added some pretzels with the grahams and bashed them with my rolling pin. Then I prebaked. Still soggy plus now tastes a little bit burnt. This could be a prize winning cheesecake if someone could give me some pointers on my crust.
Prebaking your current recipe would add nothing because the cracker is already baked, the starch is bloomed.

To get a better crust just add flour and a bit of sugar, then butter and bake it in the mold until it begins to color.

Reaction score
Thank you. I am making this cheesecake for my friend next weekend and shall try your tips.

Reaction score
I don't really like Graham Cracker crust so I use Danish Butter Cookies or Vanilla Wafers as the crust with butter only, no extra sugar.

Reaction score
I put in some sugar and pre-bake mine and it's always great. I also sometimes add almonds with the graham crackers when I crush them. A tablespoon or two of jarred caramel ice cream topping is delicious as well.

Reaction score
Do you mean you add the caramel topping to the crust?
Yes. In your food processor, combine your graham crackers, almonds, sugar. Then mix in the melted butter and 2 tbsp caramel topping. Press into springform pan and bake.

Reaction score

Reaction score
I usually make muffin size cheesecakes rather than one large one. Here in UK I use Digestive biscuits and after crushing them in my mini blender, add melted butter before mixing together and smoothing them into muffin cases. then I pop the bases in preheated oven 350/180/160/gas 4 for exactly 5 minutes before popping into fridge whilst making the fillings. Never failed

Reaction score
Hmm. That sounds interesting. I may try it. Thank you.
No problem. It's 2 c graham crackers (crushed volume), one c slivered almonds, 1/2 c white sugar, 1/4 c melted butter and 2 tblsp caramel topping. Process the almonds and sugar in with the graham crackers, then stir in the melted butter and topping. Press into pan and bake the crust. I usually do 350 degrees for 10 minutes, then let it cool and fill.

Reaction score
I usually make muffin size cheesecakes rather than one large one. Here in UK I use Digestive biscuits and after crushing them in my mini blender, add melted butter before mixing together and smoothing them into muffin cases. then I pop the bases in preheated oven 350/180/160/gas 4 for exactly 5 minutes before popping into fridge whilst making the fillings. Never failed
Thank you Mama. I really appreciate your reply.

Ask a Question