Chemical taste / smell in icing.

Reaction score
I use basic ganache. Chocolate and cream. Sometimes there is a complaint of a chemical smell and taste in the icing of the cake. Just not able to trace the issue.

Reaction score
I use basic ganache. Chocolate and cream. Sometimes there is a complaint of a chemical smell and taste in the icing of the cake. Just not able to trace the issue.

are you sure it’s the ganache and not the cake? Are you using aluminum free baking powder? If not I would recommend you do so. Also, you’re in the US, Arm & Hammer
brand baking soda.

It’s totally anecdotal, I can’t back this up with any real science, but every time I’ve encountered a baker with a bitter/chemical/metallic taste in their cake, they use aluminum baking powder.

this is the first I’ve heard of a baker having problems with an chemical taste in chocolate ganache. I can’t think of anything in chocolate or dairy that could create a chemical taste, assuming that it’s couverture chocolate. So that’s why I’m thinking it might be coming from the cake.

Reaction score
It was indeed the sponge and not the icing. Have replaced the bp. Let me check and get back asap. Thanks a lot for the help.

Reaction score
It was indeed the sponge and not the icing. Have replaced the bp. Let me check and get back asap. Thanks a lot for the help.

OK good at least you know it’s the cake and not the icing. Yes let me know if the BP change solves the problem. If not I’ll help you troubleshoot further.

Reaction score
Thank u so much. I was also using a cake gel as an emulsifier and softener. Leaving that out has also helped. Will also change the b p. Thanks ever so much. Regards

Ask a Question