Easy and Affordable Gluten-Free Bread Recipe

Reaction score
I just bought a TINY loaf of gluten free bread for $5.49. I can't afford to buy that regularly, and I'm looking for a recipe. However, all the recipes I find have about a million ingredients (excuse the hyperbole). I know that I will need xanthan gum, but usually they include arrowroot starch, tapioca starch, and a bunch of different kinds of flours too. Are there simpler alternatives that actually taste good?

Reaction score
I recently found a gluten free, yeast free bread recipe which I have modified slightly and have had great results. It's a bit denser than your normal bread, maybe closer to a banana bread, but it's delicious and simple to make. It's also low carbohydrate and sugar free , so you can indulge without the guilt. Feel free to add your own touches to it, I hope you enjoy it.

COCONUT BREAD
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
3/4 cup full cream can of coconut milk or freshly squeezed coconut milk
4 eggs
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tbsp melted organic butter
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1 tbsp Stevia, to taste

Method
Whisk together the eggs, coconut oil,coconut milk, butter, stevia and salt. Mix the coconut flour, coconut milk, buckwheat flour and baking powder, in a separate bowl. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at (350F) for 35-40 minutes. The top of the loaf should be firm and a light golden color, remove from the oven and allow it to cool.

Reaction score
That is a tricky one; I am not experience in gluten free items. Here are some tips in order to produce good quality gluten free bread;

http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/top-10-secrets-to-baking-best-gluten-free-bread/

Here are some amazing gluten free recipes (including a bread);

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/gluten-free

Thank you for the links! I will definitely try using those tips and recipes. It is SO hard to find gluten free bread that actually tastes good. It is sad!

Reaction score
I recently found a gluten free, yeast free bread recipe which I have modified slightly and have had great results. It's a bit denser than your normal bread, maybe closer to a banana bread, but it's delicious and simple to make. It's also low carbohydrate and sugar free , so you can indulge without the guilt. Feel free to add your own touches to it, I hope you enjoy it.

COCONUT BREAD
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
3/4 cup full cream can of coconut milk or freshly squeezed coconut milk
4 eggs
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tbsp melted organic butter
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1 tbsp Stevia, to taste

Method
Whisk together the eggs, coconut oil,coconut milk, butter, stevia and salt. Mix the coconut flour, coconut milk, buckwheat flour and baking powder, in a separate bowl. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at (350F) for 35-40 minutes. The top of the loaf should be firm and a light golden color, remove from the oven and allow it to cool.

That sounds amazing! I don't know where I could find buckwheat flour, but I will try Sprouts and Roots. Maybe Trader Joe's? I don't know. I live in Southern California, so I'm sure there is somewhere that sells it.

Reaction score
I just made a great cauliflower crust bread. The recipe called for a lot of cheese though and so I substituted half the cheese for rice flour instead. It was still gluten-free and tasted great. The bread kept together nicely because of the egg that was in it. My husband who hates cauliflower was shocked at how good it was. There are several recipes on the internet, but the one I used before substituting can be found here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cauliflower-pizza-crust/

Ask a Question