Fancy Buttercream Flavors

Reaction score
Buttercream frosting can be made in various ways,
as can the colorings added to the buttercream!

Most people never realize you CAN flavor buttercream frosting!

buttercream-icing.jpg

Classic Basic Buttercream

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 3 drops food coloring, or as needed (optional)
Directions
  1. Cream room temperature butter with a hand mixer, the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, or a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla extract.
  2. Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add food coloring, if using, and beat for thirty seconds until smooth or until desired color is reached.

Reaction score
Buttercream tips:

Use Butter Flavored Crisco instead of butter, it holds up better.

If you use butter, make sure it is at room temperature.

For creamier frosting, use heavy cream instead of milk.

For dairy free frosting, use warm water.

To cut the "sweet" in buttercream, you can use:

One tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar, per pound of frosting.

One teaspoon of salt, melted into the liquid (milk, water, or?) before adding to frosting mix.

One small container of sour cream instead of milk, water, and/or salt.

My personal "tricks":

Use confectioners sugar that has been sifted at least 2 times.

Use room temperature ingredients.

I leave out the liquid and whip the hell out of the frosting for 10 minutes after I have it creamed and all the sugar added. Then I put the mixer on low and add the liquid, and let that mix for a couple minutes. Then I leave it in the mixing bowl with a piece of plastic wrap on top and put into the fridge overnight. I take it out of the fridge 2-3 hours before I use it and remix it on low for a couple minutes. If I need to add flavorings or colors, I do it then.

You CAN under mix buttercream, but you can NEVER over mix it, because you can fix OVER mixing.....if you under mix it, you run the risk of hard sugar crystals forming, or the ingredients separating.

Fixing over mixed buttercream -
Usually letting it set overnight in the fridge, then mixing it on low while adding a couple tablespoons of HOT water will make it creamy again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Buttercream flavorings:

Pretty much the flavorings of buttercream are limited to your imagination.
Depending on how experimental you want to get, or what kind of cake you are making...will usually depend on what kind of buttercream you want to make.

Some flavorings you can use in buttercream--

Chocolate
Vanilla
Strawberry
Orange
Apricot
Peach
Watermelon
Cherry
Grape
Lime
Lemon
Butterscotch
Butter
Chili Powder
Paprika
Black Pepper
Jalapeno
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Allspice
Pumpkin Spice
Poppyseed
Crushed almonds
Crushed cashews
Crushed pecans
Crushed walnuts
Crushed peanuts
Sesame seeds
Sunflower seeds
Honey
Basil
Thyme
Dill
Lemon Grass
Chive
Garlic
Onion
Chicken Bouillon
Beef Bouillon
Veggie Bouillon
Yogurt
Buttermilk
Cream Cheese
Beer
Wine
Champagne
Whiskey
Bourbon
Vodka
Rum
Amaretto
Schnapps (flavored)
Marshmallow
Peppermint
Spearmint
Wintergreen
Horseradish
Wasabi
Soy sauce
Licorice
Clove
Maple Syrup
Molasses

Well, you get the idea.....

Reaction score
Lots of great ideas there. Of the list, I've only made standard vanilla buttercream and maple syrup frostings. I've also done a peanut butter buttercream before which was a big hit - they were inspired by Reese's peanut butter cups, so I did chocolate cupcakes with the PB buttercream, topped with a mini Reese's cup!

Reaction score
Lots of great ideas there. Of the list, I've only made standard vanilla buttercream and maple syrup frostings. I've also done a peanut butter buttercream before which was a big hit - they were inspired by Reese's peanut butter cups, so I did chocolate cupcakes with the PB buttercream, topped with a mini Reese's cup!

When I worked at a bakery some years ago....
The favorite and most popular cakes were Oreo, Snickers, Reeses, and Almond Joy.

Oreo Cake--
Chocolate cake layers
Vanilla buttercream with crush up Oreos in it.
Decorated with melted chocolate and Oreos.
oreo%20cake.jpg

Snickers Cake -
Chocolate cake layers.
Caramel buttercream frosting.
Peanutbutter buttercream filling.
Decorated with melted caramel and Snickers pieces.
snickers_cake_1_by_zoro_swordsman.jpg

Reeses Cake -
Chocolate cake layers.
Peanutbutter buttercream.
Decorated with melted chocolate and pieces of Reeses.
hqdefault.jpg

Almond Joy Cake-
Chocolate cake layers.
Coconut or Coconut cream filling.
Almond buttercream.
Decorated with pieces of Almond Joy and baked coconut on the side.
almond_joy_torte.jpg

Reaction score
Lemongrass flavor? Now that sounds like a rather fancy and unusual flavor for buttercream frosting :) Thanks a lot for the basic recipe, by the way, I have never really made my own buttercream frosting (only cream cheese one for carrot cakes). It sounds delish and so simple! By the way and pardon my ignorance, but when is the right time to add the flavoring ingredients to the butter cream? Once it's done?

Reaction score
@ChesterV I am just loving your posts. The cakes you posted have given me some more inspiration for cupcake varieties - I am planning on making a big batch this weekend for my husband to take to work on Monday, and I think some of those cakes in cupcake form would be a huge hit with his office mates!

Reaction score
Lemongrass flavor? Now that sounds like a rather fancy and unusual flavor for buttercream frosting :) Thanks a lot for the basic recipe, by the way, I have never really made my own buttercream frosting (only cream cheese one for carrot cakes). It sounds delish and so simple! By the way and pardon my ignorance, but when is the right time to add the flavoring ingredients to the butter cream? Once it's done?

It depends on what flavor it is, and what form the flavoring is taking before you add it.

Liquid flavorings from bottles, like most people use, can be added anytime.

Flavorings that come in syrup form need to be added right before the buttercream is used on a cake or for decorating, because the syrup will make the buttercream a bit thick and gummy if you add it too soon.

Powdered flavorings should be sifted in with the sugar before mixing with the other ingredients.

Whole flavorings, like ground nuts, chopped berries, or things of that nature should be added before using.
Berries or fruits will have water in them, and can make the frosting more "loose", so add them to a stiff frosting...you can always add a bit of water to it to loosen it up more if you need too, after adding berries and fruit.

Ground nuts are dry, so if they are crushed or ground up, then they can be added to a more "loose" frosting to make it stiffer.

Reaction score
I've been watching Cupcake Wars lately, and I've rediscovered some different kinds of flavorings for cakes and cupcakes.

I would think a sweet Wasabi cupcake with a Lemongrass frosting would be yummie!!!!

Reaction score
If you like a more "vegetarian" style cake.......these frosting flavors might suit you....
(using fresh puree or juice)

Orange
Berry
Banana
Coconut
Celery
Carrot
Beet
Basil
Pomegranate
Tomato
Kale
Seaweed
PIneapple
Spinach

you get the idea....

I would think a carrot cupcake with banana and basil frosting sounds good!
Topped with some crushed cashews maybe?

Reaction score
It depends on what flavor it is, and what form the flavoring is taking before you add it.

Liquid flavorings from bottles, like most people use, can be added anytime.

Flavorings that come in syrup form need to be added right before the buttercream is used on a cake or for decorating, because the syrup will make the buttercream a bit thick and gummy if you add it too soon.

Powdered flavorings should be sifted in with the sugar before mixing with the other ingredients.

Whole flavorings, like ground nuts, chopped berries, or things of that nature should be added before using.
Berries or fruits will have water in them, and can make the frosting more "loose", so add them to a stiff frosting...you can always add a bit of water to it to loosen it up more if you need too, after adding berries and fruit.

Ground nuts are dry, so if they are crushed or ground up, then they can be added to a more "loose" frosting to make it stiffer.

Wow, Chster! You are indeed an expert when it comes to baking :O Do you work in anything related to baked goods, specially cakes? You seem to know so much about cakes and baking, I am really impressed!

Reaction score
Wow, Chster! You are indeed an expert when it comes to baking :O Do you work in anything related to baked goods, specially cakes? You seem to know so much about cakes and baking, I am really impressed!

Thanks!

Im pretty versed in American baked goods. Cakes are my specialty. I've dabbled in bread though.
Not so much the "gourmet" side of things, because those usually tend to be very time consuming.

Well, I was born with the talent. I've never had to practice or learn, I just "do it". I don't even have to have a recipe or think about it, it just happens if I let my hands take over.

I do usually, have a basic recipe I use as a foundation though, just in case. LOL

I wanted to be a baker and have my own small bakery one day, and I've worked in grocery store bakeries for years "back when", but there was no money in it, unless you worked for yourself. I couldn't get a loan from anyone...I kept being told that I needed at least $100,000 in the bank to get a loan! And I'm like WHAT THE HELL? If I had THAT kind of money sitting in my bank account I would NOT need a loan, right!??!!!

Anyway, I gave up the dream many, many years ago. I tried working from home,, but that was a bust as well...as everybody wants what I can do, but nobody is willing to pay for it. And I'm not J. Paul Getty or Bill Gates, I can't afford to GIVE stuff away!

I do stuff for friends now, thats about the extent of it. It just wasn't worth the effort of trying to make money with what I can do, because established companies who hire bakers pay crap wages, and nobody would give me a loan for my own small place, so I just gave it all up.

But during the time I was a professional baker, I learned a lot of tricks of the trade. And thats what Im sharing with you guys. I have no one to pass this info on too, so hopefully you guys can carry on some of this.
;);););):D

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that :( About your dream not becoming a reality :( But I'm glad to hear you are doing well and you are at peace with this. I also had many dreams as well, but they could never come true, but now I am also ok with that :) My mom says everything is for a reason.

By the way, I had the feeling you worked in that area, you sound like such a talented person with lots of knowledge, so of course! And you are right, those big companies hiring bakers... it's sad, but we are living in a bad time for those who want to open a little business. It seems bigger companies have monopolized everything and it's super sad.

I personally prefer to buy my bread from little bakeries, those are always the best :) Plus they look so cozy and nice inside, most of the time the bread they sell there is also so good as well. I prefer it over the one they sell at those grocery stores (that one is also good) because there is something so special about it. Plus I think there is more variety, because the owners can simply decide to surprise us clients. I honestly hope I can find one of those nice bakery shops nearby (I'm moving to the Netherlands).

I hope your dream comes true one day, you deserve it, I don't know you, but you sound like such a wonderful man who has everything it takes to succeed :) You were born with a talent! I think that was for a reason!

Reaction score
Oh wow that is quite a list of different buttercream flavors and they all seem quite tasty. The only unusual buttercream I have ever made was a maple and bacon flavored cream. It turned out very well. I have to keep from eating half of the cream when I make it because it is so delicious.

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that :( About your dream not becoming a reality :( But I'm glad to hear you are doing well and you are at peace with this. I also had many dreams as well, but they could never come true, but now I am also ok with that :) My mom says everything is for a reason.

By the way, I had the feeling you worked in that area, you sound like such a talented person with lots of knowledge, so of course! And you are right, those big companies hiring bakers... it's sad, but we are living in a bad time for those who want to open a little business. It seems bigger companies have monopolized everything and it's super sad.

I personally prefer to buy my bread from little bakeries, those are always the best :) Plus they look so cozy and nice inside, most of the time the bread they sell there is also so good as well. I prefer it over the one they sell at those grocery stores (that one is also good) because there is something so special about it. Plus I think there is more variety, because the owners can simply decide to surprise us clients. I honestly hope I can find one of those nice bakery shops nearby (I'm moving to the Netherlands).

I hope your dream comes true one day, you deserve it, I don't know you, but you sound like such a wonderful man who has everything it takes to succeed :) You were born with a talent! I think that was for a reason!

Moving to the Netherlands, how awesome is that!!!!!
I've had some online chats with people from that area, and apparently there are tons of "mom and pop" places up there to buy all sorts of foods from!

Reaction score
Oh wow that is quite a list of different buttercream flavors and they all seem quite tasty. The only unusual buttercream I have ever made was a maple and bacon flavored cream. It turned out very well. I have to keep from eating half of the cream when I make it because it is so delicious.

And you reminded me! BACON!

Yes...BACON!

Bacon
Sausage
Jerky

Any kind of spicy or super flavored meat or meat product works well with sweet!

I make beef jerky bread for my friends, and they love it! I don't know that they would be so gastronomically open to jerky cupcakes with bacon frosting though!!!! But I would!

Reaction score
Moving to the Netherlands, how awesome is that!!!!!
I've had some online chats with people from that area, and apparently there are tons of "mom and pop" places up there to buy all sorts of foods from!

Where in the Netherlands? I will be up in the north, near Amsterdam. They have some really amazing restaurants in places like Zaandam too, if you ever go there check "toros". Great place to eat meat! Big portions! Great value for your money!

Reaction score
Buttercream flavorings:

Pretty much the flavorings of buttercream are limited to your imagination.
Depending on how experimental you want to get, or what kind of cake you are making...will usually depend on what kind of buttercream you want to make.

Some flavorings you can use in buttercream--

Chocolate
Vanilla
Strawberry
Orange
Apricot
Peach
Watermelon
Cherry
Grape
Lime
Lemon
Butterscotch
Butter
Chili Powder
Paprika
Black Pepper
Jalapeno
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Allspice
Pumpkin Spice
Poppyseed
Crushed almonds
Crushed cashews
Crushed pecans
Crushed walnuts
Crushed peanuts
Sesame seeds
Sunflower seeds
Honey
Basil
Thyme
Dill
Lemon Grass
Chive
Garlic
Onion
Chicken Bouillon
Beef Bouillon
Veggie Bouillon
Yogurt
Buttermilk
Cream Cheese
Beer
Wine
Champagne
Whiskey
Bourbon
Vodka
Rum
Amaretto
Schnapps (flavored)
Marshmallow
Peppermint
Spearmint
Wintergreen
Horseradish
Wasabi
Soy sauce
Licorice
Clove
Maple Syrup
Molasses

Well, you get the idea.....

Thanks for this awesome comprehensive list! I never considered putting in spices or herbs to make a savory buttercream flavor. It would be quite interesting how you would pair a savory flavor buttercream to a cupcake. Do you have any potential ideas of a savory cupcake and buttercream combination?
I can see jalapeno buttercream and maybe chocolate cupcake being one :)

Reaction score
Thanks for this awesome comprehensive list! I never considered putting in spices or herbs to make a savory buttercream flavor. It would be quite interesting how you would pair a savory flavor buttercream to a cupcake. Do you have any potential ideas of a savory cupcake and buttercream combination?
I can see jalapeno buttercream and maybe chocolate cupcake being one :)

Chocolate cupcakes usually goes really good with pepper type flavors (chili, jalapeno, onion, Cheyenne, etc...)

Vanilla and citrus cupcakes go good with nut flavors, herb, and things like seaweed or lemongrass.

I'm a real "out there" kind of guy though......

Here are a few things I might do--

Chocolate cherry cupcake with bacon and nutmeg frosting
Vanilla and tangerine cupcake with basil and cashew frosting
Wasabi cupcake with vodka and clove frosting (possibly with a bit of dill and champagne filling)
Candied seaweed and lemongrass cupcake with banana and black pepper frosting

or

Bacon cupcake with yogurt and pecan frosting, with sunflower seeds on top
(OMG that sounds good!!!!)
Sausage cupcake with tomato, cream cheese, and spinach frosting
Honey and garlic cupcake with marshmallow and horseradish frosting

Ok, I'm hungry now......

Reaction score
Chocolate cupcakes usually goes really good with pepper type flavors (chili, jalapeno, onion, Cheyenne, etc...)

Vanilla and citrus cupcakes go good with nut flavors, herb, and things like seaweed or lemongrass.

I'm a real "out there" kind of guy though......

Here are a few things I might do--

Chocolate cherry cupcake with bacon and nutmeg frosting
Vanilla and tangerine cupcake with basil and cashew frosting
Wasabi cupcake with vodka and clove frosting (possibly with a bit of dill and champagne filling)
Candied seaweed and lemongrass cupcake with banana and black pepper frosting

or

Bacon cupcake with yogurt and pecan frosting, with sunflower seeds on top
(OMG that sounds good!!!!)
Sausage cupcake with tomato, cream cheese, and spinach frosting
Honey and garlic cupcake with marshmallow and horseradish frosting

Ok, I'm hungry now......

WOW! You've got so many ideas for savoury cupcakes already! I think the honey garlic is a good combination too.. kinda like honey garlic chicken wings idea. Bacon can pretty much go on a lot of different ones too... like chocolate, maple syrup, brown sugar, etc. I have yet to experiment with these unique flavors... maybe I will once I have some more time and let you know how it turns out :)

Ask a Question