Garden party suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi fellow bakers! I'm heading north to see the extended family soon and we've all got fingers crossed for some sunny weather so we can get out into the garden. My whole family are total foodies so I've got a lot of competition in terms of what I bring ;) My usual fall-backs are lemon drizzle cupcakes for the sweet-toothed and cheese straws for the savoury-lovers among us, but I'm getting a little bored of making these every time. Has anyone been particularly inspired by the barbeque weather and come up with some delicious quick, sweet treats? Ideally something that will please both kids and adults (but won't drive the kids crazy - we've had a few hyper, meringue-induced incidents in the past!). Thanks all!

Reaction score
I haven't done it yet, but I used to see single serving sized silicon molds in the shape of flowers, and fantasias about baking individual cheesecakes colored and flavored with different fruit purees or syrups. (That is, mixed in with the cheesecake batter before baking, not drizzled on top.) I think if you did several different colors it would look really pretty.

Reaction score
Hi there- cupcakes are great for parties like this. I always make them but since you want something new- why don't you try making chocolate-flavored swiss roll. You can fill it with whip-cream. You can actually use the pre-cook sponge cake box if you feel it's too tedious to make the mixture. Try it and let me know :)

Reaction score
I'm a big one for cookie trays, but that's a lot of work if you want a variety of cookies.

Something else that has always been a big hit for me is chocolate covered pretzel rods. Once I dunk the top half in chocolate I roll them in (already prepped) crushed chocolate chips, m & m's, rainbow sprinkles, nuts, etc. Then I serve them standing upright in a mug. Then seem to disappear pretty fast. I love the salty/sweet combo of chocolate covered pretzels. You can also do white chocolate, or a layer of each. (let first layer set before adding second layer.)

Reaction score
Here is something sweet but not too sweet and goes over pretty well at any family gatherings I have attended. It steers away from traditional cake.

Sweet Potato Casserole

4 c. mashed sweet potatoes
3/4 to 1 c. of sugar
1 1/2 sticks of butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
Add pet milk until desired consistency

Beat with mixer until well blended, pour in baking dish bake 400 for 20 minutes add topping bake for additional 10 minutes

Topping

3/4 c. cornflake crumbs
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. chopped pecans
3/4 stick melted butter

mix well add on top of potatoes 3/4 way through the baking

Reaction score
Cookie trays, turnover trays and many other trays would be a welcoming dessert. Cup cakes could be made into flowers or even one huge flower. Possibilities are endless.

Reaction score
Have you thought about baking tarts they can be both sweet or savory. Try adding some unusal ingredient like goat cheese and sundied tomatoe for a savory bite. Salted caramel is a hot tresy flavor right now that migh make a nice weet additon.

Ask a Question