Glitter in Cake! Is this even possible??

Reaction score
Hello! First time asking anyone for help with my cakes but I'm at a point where I can no longer figure it out on my own and a friend had mentioned reaching out to forums for advice.

I have a Christmas wedding coming up where I was asked to do the cake, cake balls, and cupcakes. She is wanting the inside of the cake balls to look like the cake in the uploaded image. This photo is clearly photoshopped however, I do wonder if this look is possible at all.

If so, Please let me know what kind of non-toxic glitter you have used for inside as well as outside the cake! I want her to have the best sparkles I can give her on her day!!!

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Glitter Cake.jpg
    Glitter Cake.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 410
Reaction score
Hello! First time asking anyone for help with my cakes but I'm at a point where I can no longer figure it out on my own and a friend had mentioned reaching out to forums for advice.

I have a Christmas wedding coming up where I was asked to do the cake, cake balls, and cupcakes. She is wanting the inside of the cake balls to look like the cake in the uploaded image. This photo is clearly photoshopped however, I do wonder if this look is possible at all.

If so, Please let me know what kind of non-toxic glitter you have used for inside as well as outside the cake! I want her to have the best sparkles I can give her on her day!!!

Thank you!!!

1. Glitter is either made from a gelatin or more commonly, gum arabic (acacia). The moisture in the batter and the heat from the oven will trigger changes in both gelatin and gum arabic. Notable, both will dissolve and absorb moisture. In the next phase it will swell and thicken.

Aside from changing the look of the glitter, depending on the amount of glitter added to the batter, the thickening could change the texture of the cake, making it dense and heavy.

2. If the glitter is made from gum arabic, it can cause constipation and gas. Gum arabic can be used to treat diarrhea. As a potent thickener it has been used as a gluten replacement in gluten-free baked goods. Many gluten-free individuals experience gas, bloating, and nausea after consuming baked goods containing gum arabic.

3. If it is gelatin based it would not be appropriate for anyone who is a vegetarian or vegan to consume it as gelatin is derived from animals.

4. Glitter sold as edible glitter is the same glitter used for art projects. All glitter is technically edible. But that does it mean it’s good for you. It simply means that technically you can eat it and not die.

Reaction score
The short answer is no, it's not possible I'm afraid. Like you say, the picture is photoshopped - even if you baked glitter into cake (ignoring the issue of whether it's edible or not) it's unlikely it would look sparkly after cutting it. Glitter sparkles because it has a smooth surface that reflects light, so if you coat it in batter that will no longer be the case.

Here in the UK there are two types of glitter; edible glitter which is suitable for eating, and non-toxic glitter which isn't meant to be eaten but isn't poisonous. Edible glitter is more like a powder, it adds a lustre to decorations. It would certainly disappear if baked into a cake.

You could consider spraying slices with some lustre spray once they've been cut, but I don't think it would work well. Similar to edible glitter, they are intended to give more of a metallic look rather than a sparkly look, and work a lot better on smooth surfaces than something like cut cake.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Hope the bride won't be too heart-broken ;)

Ask a Question