How long can butter be kept out

Reaction score
Hi all...I was baking a few days ago and took too much butter out. Rather than put it back thinking I was going to bake the next day; I left it out in it's pkg in a covered butter dish also in a cool area of my kitchen. I didn't get a chance to bake until now today which is 5 days now. Should I chance it or throw it out. It is unsalted LOL Euroupean butter. It does not smell or taste rancid. I'm ok with throwing it out but just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks

Reaction score
Hi all...I was baking a few days ago and took too much butter out. Rather than put it back thinking I was going to bake the next day; I left it out in it's pkg in a covered butter dish also in a cool area of my kitchen. I didn't get a chance to bake until now today which is 5 days now. Should I chance it or throw it out. It is unsalted LOL Euroupean butter. It does not smell or taste rancid. I'm ok with throwing it out but just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks

Butter can be kept out of the fridge for quite a lot longer than you'd think! Some people don't store theirs in the fridge at all. As long as it's kept in a cool, dark place (ideally an airtight container) it should be fine for weeks. Use your judgement; if it looks fine, smells fine, and tastes fine... then it's probably fine. I store mine in the fridge, but only because I tend to use it sporadically. Plus I prefer to bake with cold butter.

Reaction score

It's fine. When I was a kid my best friend's mom kept butter in a "butter dish", in the kitchen cabinet instead of the refrigerator! It certainly was easier to spread.

Reaction score
Of course, it depends on the application of butter. For example, to make some dough (like a thousand-layer dough), butter should not be outside the freezer even for one minute.

Ask a Question