My donuts shrink when I cut them

Reaction score
Hi guys I need some advice. I have been making a donut recipe that is so fluffy and delicious, but I’ve been having some trouble while cutting them.
I’ve been using this recipe:
280 gr of All Purpose Flour
- 40 gr Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 egg
- 120 gr Whole Milk ( 1/2 cup ) ( Every flour absorbs liquids differently, so you may need an extra 2-3 tbsp of milk)
- 40 gr melted Butter
- 7 gr Dry Yeast

I combine all the ingredients,( first the dry then the wet ) I knead the dough for about 5-7m and let it rest in the microwave or the oven (I don’t turn the oven or microwave on!!!) for about 2h or when I see that the dough doubled its size. After resting I flip the dough on a floured countertop and I press down the dough (gently) and I roll the dough (the dough always starts to shrinks when I’m rolling the dough too) so I cut cut up mini donuts using a cookie cutter, as soon as I press the cookie cutter on my dough it immediately starts to shrink, like it shrinks a lot. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong and I would like some advice please.

Reaction score
Shrinking in rolling and/or cutting is the telltale sign of too much gluten development in your dough.

Either your flour is too strong and/or you are overworking the dough in mixing and/or rolling, causing too much gluten to develop. Resting the dough will not reduce the amount of gluten development already created in it, but it may allow some of it to relax to complete the process.

The rule in dough handling is the second the dough shrinks back in handling, stop whatever process you are working on and let the dough rest for about 30 mins.

Ideally, dough should not be overmixed/kneaded to prevent over-gluten development.

Reaction score
Hi guys I need some advice. I have been making a donut recipe that is so fluffy and delicious, but I’ve been having some trouble while cutting them.
I’ve been using this recipe:
280 gr of All Purpose Flour
- 40 gr Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 egg
- 120 gr Whole Milk ( 1/2 cup ) ( Every flour absorbs liquids differently, so you may need an extra 2-3 tbsp of milk)
- 40 gr melted Butter
- 7 gr Dry Yeast

I combine all the ingredients,( first the dry then the wet ) I knead the dough for about 5-7m and let it rest in the microwave or the oven (I don’t turn the oven or microwave on!!!) for about 2h or when I see that the dough doubled its size. After resting I flip the dough on a floured countertop and I press down the dough (gently) and I roll the dough (the dough always starts to shrinks when I’m rolling the dough too) so I cut cut up mini donuts using a cookie cutter, as soon as I press the cookie cutter on my dough it immediately starts to shrink, like it shrinks a lot. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong and I would like some advice please.
if you use water and milk powder, it will help... a lot.

After all the ingredients are in, mix it for 2 or 3 minutes. All you are looking for is a smooth dough.

Don't "roll" the dough back and forth, use the pin to roll out from the center in a one way motion.
After its rolled to the dimension desired leave it for a minute, then roll again slightly larger and flaff some air under it, it will shrink back to the size you want. When you cut it the dough will not shrink.

You're cutting it whilst its still under tension.
If it shrinks when cut just wait 30 seconds, you will see it makes a difference.

Reaction score
Its a common issue but try this, when you're kneading the dough, make sure you're giving it enough time to develop gluten. This is what gives your donuts structure and helps prevent them from shrinking excessively when cut. Aim for a smooth, elastic dough after kneading.

Ask a Question