Silicone or Metal Baking Tins?

Reaction score
I always seem to have problems with metal baking tins. It doesnt matter how much I grease them or use the greasproof paper, my sponge cakes always come out with bits missing. I have decided to give these silicone moulds a go as I plan on making individual Christmas Cakes and Mince Pie cakes for Christmas. I have heard that they are far easy to pull away from the cake/bread etc. Has anybody else tried them and what do you think to them?

Reaction score
I've tried them, but to be honest, I prefer metal. I found the silicon ones were too bendy. If I remember correctly, the cakes still came out the right shape, but I was totally paranoid when filling them up because I was convinced they would bend and all the mix would spill out! I'd rather stick with metal. I often have problems with bits of the cake sticking, but it's happening less and less now that I grease the tins better.

Reaction score
I still use metal, but i'm slowly being convinced into using silicone ones, although they do appear to be too bendy for my liking. Maybe it'd be different depending on the cake you were baking.

Reaction score
My silicone Muffin tray came the very nexta day so spot on to the delivery person! I have just made some cakes and I found that I had to put the silicone tray on a metal tray as I found it rather bendy and I was worried the mixture would fall out. I have left them to cool before I turn them out so fingers crossed they come out in one piece. I must add that the new tray came with a 10 year gurantee and said that I didnt need to oil or grease it. This is the big test!

Reaction score
Yay they worked!!
Here is the link to where you can buy the tray. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000O19SW6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B000O19SW6&linkCode=as2&tag=hogandhos-21

I think I am coverted! First time any cakes of mine have come out whole. I will now invest in a bread mould and a sponge mould as well. Well worth it.
9964_10151567175225685_101931405_n.jpg

Reaction score
Those DO look great ! I don't think I have ever even heard of a silicone baking dish, let alone used one. It must be something new , maybe ?
Mine are still the older ones from the Dollar store, with the Teflon non-stick coating. I usually either grease them, or at least spray them with Pam butter flavor coating before I bake anything, and it usually comes right out of the pan just fine.
Of course, it is always just for us to eat here at home, so it would be no big deal, even if a bit of something did stick to the pan.
Now, I will have to look it up online, and see what a silicone pan looks like.

Reaction score
I've never even heard of silicone pans! Sounds like something to definitely look into because I have the same issues with my metal pans and things sticking. My baking pans always start to look a little "rough" after several uses as well. I hate having to throw them all away and starting all over buying new ones. baking pans and cookie sheets, etc. can be expensive! I wish there was a way to clean them to get them looking brand new again!

Reaction score
I made some scones with it as well. I am so impressed with it. Like I said before, I was a little bit wary of using it as it is so bendy, but I just put it on a metal tray so it is easier to put in and take out of the oven. I will certainly purchase this make again

1236904_10151567467345685_137403693_n.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the link too! I think i'm gonna buy them soon, decent price too. Plus free delivery! Yay!

Reaction score
I've never even heard of silicone pans! Sounds like something to definitely look into because I have the same issues with my metal pans and things sticking. My baking pans always start to look a little "rough" after several uses as well. I hate having to throw them all away and starting all over buying new ones. baking pans and cookie sheets, etc. can be expensive! I wish there was a way to clean them to get them looking brand new again!

Do you live in the US? It's odd that you haven't heard of silicone pans because every Walmart, Target and supermarket has them, so you'd think you would have stumbled upon one by now. Even the dollar bin at Walmart has silicone cake pans in it sometimes.

Reaction score
I really like silicone bakeware, it definitely makes things a lot easier! The only problem I've encountered was with a silicone loaf mould - it was very thin and flimsy. I've since bought one that is thicker and has a bit more structure to it so that it keeps its shape when filled. It didn't cost much more than the first one, so it's definitely worth paying attention to the quality.

Reaction score
Also I think you can get thin silicone sheets which you put on top of baking trays - that way you benefit from both the non-stick of the silicone and the rigidity of the baking tray.

Reaction score
I have silicone muffin 'pans', but only metal cake and other pans. I am not that impressed with the muffin tins to spend additional money on replacing my other perfectly good pans :)

Reaction score
I live in the UK so the silicone pan thin g hasnt really taken off over here as it would have done i the US plus it seems more expensive but it is certainly worth the money when all my cakes came out in one piece for a change lol

Reaction score
I've had mixed results with them. I definitely still need to spray mine, but depending on the batter sometimes things still stick to them or get torn up when trying to take stuff out of them because the pans are too flexible. I do like how you can kind of pop them out temporarily to scrub them real good though.

My biggest issue with them is how wobbly they are, especially when you are just putting them into an oven with runny batter. I can put them in no problem, but my mom never uses hers because she has a hard time not spilling them, and they are just more cumbersome for her.

Reaction score
The silicone ones make me kinda nervous! Mostly because of the chemicals used to make them, I rather use the metallic ones because those seem to be way safer :) With the silicone ones you just never know, I've always said it's better to be safe than sorry!

Ask a Question