Stainless or chrome plated beaters for a KA Pro600?

Reaction score
Howdy!

I just joined the board and have been busy reading earlier threads. I used to bake a good bit (mostly bread), but got away from it a few years ago when life went in a different direction. Recently decided to get back with it. To further that end I bought a KA Pro600 with the six quart and three quart bowls. So far I am quite pleased with it, but find the nylon coated beater attachments annoying. I would really rather have stainless steel or at least chrome plated steel so I don't have to worry about chipping. Everything I can find on the KA site says they don't offer such for the 600 series mixers. But, in reading an older threat I see where Bird says

As an aside the stainless steel attachments for the 8 quart commercial mixer will work all the way down to the 5 quart wide stainless steel bowls (i.e 5, 6, and 7 quart bowls).

Am I understanding this correctly that I can use the commercial attachments on my six quart mixer or does this only mean you can put the smaller bowls in the larger mixer and the attachments will work for them too?

I still have my old Bosch which I bought about fifteen or so years ago. Used to make a number of loaves of whole-wheat bread at a time, but for the non-bread making sort of things one would use a mixer for it wasn't as suited as the old KA my mother once owned (an old tilt-head) so now I have both. My daughter likes making cakes, cookies, frostings, etc so when she wore out our electric hand mixer we decided it was time to step to a KA stand model. Got a real surprise when I found out how hard it was to find one! Finally located the white one I wanted (tradition must be upheld!) last week.

Really enjoying reading these threads.

Dunross.

Reaction score
An 8 qt beater will not work properly in a 6 qt bowl. While the attachment may fit on the mixer that is not the issue.

The issue is planetary mixing action. The diameter and shape of the bowl and the mixing shape and size attachment are designed to make a certain number of rotations in the bowl at various speeds. While making the rotations the attachment edge will come in contact with the inside of the bowl at specific points for a specific number of times per rotation.

Then ensures proper mixing of batters, including the incorporation of air into batters.

A 5 quart has 59 planetary mixing action points. A 6 quart has 67 planetary mixing action points.

An oversized beater will not rotate properly in a smaller bowl and the contact points will all be off.

While it may turn, it won’t function as designed.

I own two KitchenAid including the 6 quart pro. One of my mixers is over 20 years old. I have the original beater. Granted I have extra bowls and attachments for my mixers because I bake a lot, but the only beaters that I’ve had to replace are the ones with the rubber scraping edge.

Reaction score
This photo might help you understand planetary mixing action points. The bowl of a planetary mixer is stationary; this is different from a spiral mixer (for dough) in which the bowl and mixer head both rotate.

Since the bowl is stationary, the attachment requires a different amount of torque to move through the batter, egg whites, icing, etc. The more product in the bowl, the more resistance against the mixer head. The attachment not only has to move through what’s in the bowl, but agitated it. Since the bowl doesn't move, the attachment has to push the substance against the side of the bowl, and thatir turn pushes it through the openings in the attachment to mix it. So the bowl and the attachment are designed in proportion to each other. And the mixer head is designed to touch the attachment a specific number of times at designated points inside the bowl. The attachments are also a specific size to allow specific clearance on sides and under the bowl to endure movement the attachment. And over or undersized beater will change how batter, icing, etc moves in the bowl.

1D62B402-8EC7-47C2-8D0D-8DA70F5C5B6B.jpeg

Reaction score
Howdy!

I just joined the board and have been busy reading earlier threads. I used to bake a good bit (mostly bread), but got away from it a few years ago when life went in a different direction. Recently decided to get back with it. To further that end I bought a KA Pro600 with the six quart and three quart bowls. So far I am quite pleased with it, but find the nylon coated beater attachments annoying. I would really rather have stainless steel or at least chrome plated steel so I don't have to worry about chipping. Everything I can find on the KA site says they don't offer such for the 600 series mixers. But, in reading an older threat I see where Bird says

Am I understanding this correctly that I can use the commercial attachments on my six quart mixer or does this only mean you can put the smaller bowls in the larger mixer and the attachments will work for them too?

I still have my old Bosch which I bought about fifteen or so years ago. Used to make a number of loaves of whole-wheat bread at a time, but for the non-bread making sort of things one would use a mixer for it wasn't as suited as the old KA my mother once owned (an old tilt-head) so now I have both. My daughter likes making cakes, cookies, frostings, etc so when she wore out our electric hand mixer we decided it was time to step to a KA stand model. Got a real surprise when I found out how hard it was to find one! Finally located the white one I wanted (tradition must be upheld!) last week.

Dunross.
It'll work. The wide bowls (5, 6, 7, & 8 quarts) have the same diameter. They just get taller the higher the number of quarts. You can tell this yourself by looking at where the 'ears' on the bowls are with each size. I did a lot of cross referencing of part numbers in my research and I have personally tried the attachments (stainless steel '8 quart' beater, dough hook, and wire whip) with a 5 and 6 quart bowls. Of course the 6 quart bowl is the one you have on the Pro 600. My focus wasn't on 'chipping' so much as just wanting something I could safely wash in the dishwasher. Another fun fact if you order the KN211WW 11-wire whip (at least from Amazon), you will get the same stainless one that has part number KSMC7QEW and you might get it slightly cheaper. I think KitchenAid just started replacing the KN211WW with the KSMC7QEW to keep production costs down. Happy shopping.

Reaction score
It'll work. The wide bowls (5, 6, 7, & 8 quarts) have the same diameter. They just get taller the higher the number of quarts. You can tell this yourself by looking at where the 'ears' on the bowls are with each size. I did a lot of cross referencing of part numbers in my research and I have personally tried the attachments (stainless steel '8 quart' beater, dough hook, and wire whip) with a 5 and 6 quart bowls. Of course the 6 quart bowl is the one you have on the Pro 600. My focus wasn't on 'chipping' so much as just wanting something I could safely wash in the dishwasher. Another fun fact if you order the KN211WW 11-wire whip (at least from Amazon), you will get the same stainless one that has part number KSMC7QEW and you might get it slightly cheaper. I think KitchenAid just started replacing the KN211WW with the KSMC7QEW to keep production costs down. Happy shopping.

The specification on the mixers give you the planetary mixing action points on very mixer. Each one in fact is different.

And this is why the friction factor is different for every mixer. And this is why professional bakers have to calculate friction factor for every mixer to calculate DDT for doughs and batter. Every mixer model is different. The reason the manufactures even bother with planetary mixing action points is friction factor.

It’s not about whether the attachment fits on the post and moves around the bowl.

Reaction score
So, if the 5, 6, 7, & 8qt bowls have the same diameter differing only in their depths does the 7 & 8qt stainless implements have the same bottom clearance in the 6 qt bowls? Will I need to adjust the mixer?

KitchenAid says right on their site they offer a 5qt bowls for the 600 mixer so at least to that extent it seems to be OK to use the same attachment in those different sizes of bowls. The commercial 7qt mixer has 5,6, & 7qt bowls available on the manufacturer's site and the 8qt mixer offers 7 & 5qt.

It seems to me the greatest difference is that the coated attachments are not NSF certified while the stainless steel are.

On a large scale I can certainly see where DDT is important, though it seems to me that varying the water temperature would remedy that. On a small scale it does not seem as important. Back in the day I was mixing and baking six loaves of 100% whole wheat bread at a time and never paid much attention to the DDT other than whether is warmer or cooler depending on what I was doing with the dough. If I had the time I preferred a cooler dough for longer ferment times, but occasionally I had to make things move along more quickly. I'm not going to go back to six loaves at a time with my KitchenAid. If I feel the need to do so I'll pull my Bosch back out.

Reaction score
So, if the 5, 6, 7, & 8qt bowls have the same diameter differing only in their depths does the 7 & 8qt stainless implements have the same bottom clearance in the 6 qt bowls? Will I need to adjust the mixer?

KitchenAid says right on their site they offer a 5qt bowls for the 600 mixer so at least to that extent it seems to be OK to use the same attachment in those different sizes of bowls. The commercial 7qt mixer has 5,6, & 7qt bowls available on the manufacturer's site and the 8qt mixer offers 7 & 5qt.

It seems to me the greatest difference is that the coated attachments are not NSF certified while the stainless steel are.

On a large scale I can certainly see where DDT is important, though it seems to me that varying the water temperature would remedy that. On a small scale it does not seem as important. Back in the day I was mixing and baking six loaves of 100% whole wheat bread at a time and never paid much attention to the DDT other than whether is warmer or cooler depending on what I was doing with the dough. If I had the time I preferred a cooler dough for longer ferment times, but occasionally I had to make things move along more quickly. I'm not going to go back to six loaves at a time with my KitchenAid. If I feel the need to do so I'll pull my Bosch back out.
Yes. That's what I have right now. If you compare the stainless steel flat beater to the coated one, they are the same size.

Reaction score
Howdy!

Dunross.

Some co's. offer the stainless steel beaters with the machine. Can't see why KA won't do that. If they are offering a metal tranny, then they should offer SS beaters to go with it. Globe features that with its mixers.:)
Globe SP08 mixer..jpg

Reaction score
Here are the inner workings of both the Bosch Universal & the Nutrimill Artist mixers.
Boscn Universal & Nutrimill Artiste Drive Machineries._0.jpg

Ask a Question