Store bought vs. baked

Reaction score
Which type of bread do you prefer? This may seem like an obvious question but some people do like store bought. I don't make bread at home very often but what I do like about it is that you can put only wholesome ingredients, and you know exactly what is going in it.

Reaction score
There are so many great breads for sale at the bakery these days but I do prefer homemade for the fact you mentioned. I can control what ingredients I use and make healthier choices. Of course I don't get the chance to bake bread much anymore, which is a shame.

Reaction score
I think that baked bread from a REAL bakery is great. I wish I could find a real bakery. However, I think the bread and other goods from big box stores (Walmart, etc.) tend to be too salty. I also suspect that the food value is likely low because you often don't see a Nutritional Facts sticker on the package. I thought it was a law that packaged items were supposed to have the NF sticker. If you look at the ingredients list, you see a whole lot of strange ingredients as well.

Reaction score
I prefer home-baked, but I hardly ever make bread so I put up with bought stuff most of the time. Store bought bread seems to last longer as well as it's not so delicious that you can't stop helping yourself to slice after slice. :p

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I were just discussing this yesterday. We both agreed that everything is better homemade! All I can think of is wonderful, homemade lasagna compared to frozen or any other type of store bought lasagna! There is such a big difference! Pastries, cookies, and cakes definitely all taste better right from the oven as well. I'm also pretty sure I read in a magazine once that homemade goods automatically taste better if you cooked them yourself due to your mind knowing how much work you put into it. It's something to think about!

Reaction score
Hubby likes sandwich bread from the grocery store for his work lunch. I can never get the homemade loaf slices thin enough for his taste and he says that it is not light and airy like the sandwich bread. I love the smell of loaves of bread baking at home and I make it as often as I can.

Reaction score
Hubby likes sandwich bread from the grocery store for his work lunch. I can never get the homemade loaf slices thin enough for his taste and he says that it is not light and airy like the sandwich bread. I love the smell of loaves of bread baking at home and I make it as often as I can.
Agreed, homemade bread tastes better but the perfect thin slices of store bought sandwich bread are better for making sandwiches.
Bread that you make at home is heartier and better for eating with a bowl of soup.

Reaction score
I like home made bread better also, I don't see how someone could NOT like it better, but again, it is a long process to make my own bread, and we do not eat a lot of bread, so I usually buy it at the store, a me keep it refrigerated.
My favorite is the Health Nut bread, with whole wheat, and lots of seeds and nuts in it. It is great for a sandwich roar just to have an occasional piece of toast.

Reaction score
Agreed, homemade bread tastes better but the perfect thin slices of store bought sandwich bread are better for making sandwiches.
Bread that you make at home is heartier and better for eating with a bowl of soup.

Oh yes, soup, stews, chili..... the list goes on and on.

Reaction score
I prefer homemade food instead of store brought baked food. I can add my favorite ingredients to baked foods. I love the taste of fresh baked bread and cakes. I purchase baked goods at my local deli when I am unable to bake. I purchase sourdough bread or cakes from the deli.

Ask a Question