Which piping tip for these biscuits...

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently visited Malaysia and someone there made me these lovely butter cookies, and they were so nice I just had to try making some myself. Only issue is, there's no available recipe for it online and I'm not able to contact them to ask. I've done a fair bit of work to figure out how they are made, however the one thing I'm uncertain about is which piping nozzle they used to create the shape. Judging from the shape of it, it's just one straight line with a certain nozzle, which produces wider waves on the top and thinner spikes at the side.

Does anyone know what nozzle might have been used for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230424_142750.jpg
    20230424_142750.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Ah perfect! Yes that looks exactly right. I never even considered that you could get flat piping tips but that makes total sense.

Thank you very much!

Stephen

Reaction score
Ah perfect! Yes that looks exactly right. I never even considered that you could get flat piping tips but that makes total sense.

Thank you very much!

Stephen
I highly doubt you will be able to push that batter through a bag by hand, it very likely came out of a depositor machine.
I would opt for the largest star tip tube and make a viennese type batter that is soft enough to be bagged.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently visited Malaysia and someone there made me these lovely butter cookies, and they were so nice I just had to try making some myself. Only issue is, there's no available recipe for it online and I'm not able to contact them to ask. I've done a fair bit of work to figure out how they are made, however the one thing I'm uncertain about is which piping nozzle they used to create the shape. Judging from the shape of it, it's just one straight line with a certain nozzle, which produces wider waves on the top and thinner spikes at the side.

Does anyone know what nozzle might have been used for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That doesn’t looked piped. Rather it looks like a spritz cookie.

Also, I own multiple 828 tips that I use all the time. They will not produce that spritz cookie shape.

Reaction score
That's all really useful to know. The first batch I did I managed to push through a piping bag, but I had to do 4 rows for each biscuit as it was too thin of a nozzle. I'll try the 828 and flat nozzle and see what happens.

I also wasn't aware of spritz cookie presses. Perhaps it could have been done with that however I haven't seen any spritz cookie presses online that produce that same shape. This will be the next thing to try though if I can't get it working with a piping bag.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Reaction score
That's all really useful to know. The first batch I did I managed to push through a piping bag, but I had to do 4 rows for each biscuit as it was too thin of a nozzle. I'll try the 828 and flat nozzle and see what happens.

I also wasn't aware of spritz cookie presses. Perhaps it could have been done with that however I haven't seen any spritz cookie presses online that produce that same shape. This will be the next thing to try though if I can't get it working with a piping bag.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
the cookie you pictured came out of a cookie depositor machine, same as a piping tip but with more force available, without hydraulic force to push the batter you will have to soften the cookie batter to push it out a bag.
Viennese are better than most any cookie you can buy commercially.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I do see your point, it would be very difficult to push it through the piping bag. Especially given that the cookies were pretty crumbly, which makes me think it must be quite a dry dough.

I do know that this was made by a lady down the road in her kitchen, so it seems unlikely she would have had a big piece of machinery like that available. However perhaps it could have been done with one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IBILI-Cook...=pd_vtp_h_pd_vtp_h_sccl_4/257-2120558-6389248

Reaction score
Just following up on this for anyone interested... I found out how they were actually made! It's using a special "biscuit pump" that you can only buy there, however I found that you can get it shipped to the UK on ebay. So I bought one and managed to recreate the shape :)

Attached is a photo of the biscuit pump, and the cookies I made with it.

1694118523665.png

1694118699771.jpeg

Ask a Question