Sourdough Success

Reaction score
I think I could have cracked the sourdough bread lark...

This is my 3rd or 4th loaf. All have looked similar.
The starter has had whatever it is meant to have done to it, so by which I mean before I fed the starter on Thursday, I removed a quantity (well all of what was not needed in the starter) and fed that up adding a couple of teaspoons of honey to it as well - so roughly 100g of starter, then 100g of spring water, 100g of my mix of rye, strong wholemeal, strong white. This was left out in the kitchen during the day and night, then some more spring water and starter mix was added to it on Friday morning, along with 2 tsp of honey.

It was then left somewhere warm for 8 hours until the evening when I made up the dough. I did 2 batches, 1 with strong wholemeal bread flour and 1 smaller batch with strong white bread flour. Both were left to prove in the fridge overnight (yes, you read that correctly) and this morning they were removed from the fridge and left somewhere warm (my dehydrator) until they had roughly doubled in size. The white flour dough I made quite sticky which needed a loaf tin to hold its shape. The wholemeal flour dough I made to be a traditional shaped sourdough loaf and one that could hold its own shape.

Both have only needed around 35 mins at Gas Mark 4 (180C or 360F?) to cook.

IMG_6378.JPG IMG_6382.JPG

As you can see the one needing the loaf tin has worked really well (the other one in the 2nd picture is a different sourdough recipe and tastes wonderful as well).

Ask a Question