Cheddar apple pie

Reaction score
I really want to make this pie for Thanksgiving but I've never eaten it before. I figure I love cheddar and I definitely love apple pie and the two together sounds like heaven. Can you recommend a great tasting recipe out there? I want to impress my family with this. Also, is it weird to eat this with ice cream?

Reaction score
I have never heard of this kind of pie?? Is the cheese melty on top of an apple pie?? I certainly love cheddar cheese and I am a super fan of apple pie... but the two together, not sure I can comprehend this??

Reaction score
Well, this type of pie certainly is unique!

I just a quick search as was surprised to find plenty of results for it. The salt and sugar combination probably blends well. This isn't something I would make during the holiday though. Sounds more like something you should practice before serving to others.

Reaction score
I saw an apple pie with a cheddar crust on top recently and thought it was quite unique! I've never had cheese with my pie before, I've heard it's more an American thing? Not that I'm far.. just a couple inches from the border lol. I might have to give it a try sometime.

Reaction score
I have heard of this pie and always wanted to try it , but I am not sure I can bring myself to eat this. Fresh raw apples with sharp chedda cheese taste wonderful, but will that change once you cook the apples? I would hate to bee stuck with a whole pie that nobody wants to eat.

Reaction score
I don't think it's weird- I've heard of it before, but I don't actually have a recipe for it or an experience trying it. I'd love to get some input though if you did try it- what did you end up doing? How did it turn out?

Sounds amazing in theory :).

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind these flavors on a cracker, or perhaps even in a grilled cheese sandwich. I don't know about putting them into a pie though. My big concern would be the cheese separating, which cheddar in particular is very prone to doing. Perhaps there is something in the Apples that might help prevent this though - I heard citric acid helps prevent cheese from separating. This also sounds like it might look a bit unappetizing at room temperature. I suppose there is a first time for everything though.

Reaction score
Apple pie with cheese is SOOO GOOD! I was skeptical at first too, but a vendor from Vermont started selling it at a September fair around where I live (The Eastern States Exposition). I tried it and was hooked for life! They way they sell it is exactly the way I'd make it at home--warm apple pie with a triangle of cold sharp cheddar on the side. A forkful with a little bit of pie and a little bit of cheese is a culinary treat. Something about the sharpness and smoothness of the cheddar plus the sweetness from the apples and flakiness from the crust just makes the most surprising flavor combination with every bite!
For an even more intense pie-cheese combination, I found a recipe for an apple pie that actually uses cheddar cheese IN the crust! That might be an interesting variation to try as well.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Apple-Pie-with-Cheddar-Crust-108649#ixzz2rpMkhMoV

Ask a Question