Corn Bread Mishap

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here and new to baking in general. Saturday, I tried a cornbread recipe out for breakfast and as practice for Thanksgiving, and ti tasted great, however, I had a very glaring problem.

I took a bite out of a second piece I cut for myself, and immediately my mouth became dry, bitter, and sour all at once. It was honestly horrific, and even afer spitting it out and rinsing my mouth with water, my mouth was dry for a solid 10 minutes. The only thing I can think of that would've caused that would be the baking powder, but I thought that as an acid/base mixture, it would've evened itself out. The cornbread itself was not overly dense, and while I considered he possibility that I used the wrong leavener on accident, I used milk instead of buttermilk, so baking soda wouldn't have worked if I had accidentally swapped them.

If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here and new to baking in general. Saturday, I tried a cornbread recipe out for breakfast and as practice for Thanksgiving, and ti tasted great, however, I had a very glaring problem.

I took a bite out of a second piece I cut for myself, and immediately my mouth became dry, bitter, and sour all at once. It was honestly horrific, and even afer spitting it out and rinsing my mouth with water, my mouth was dry for a solid 10 minutes. The only thing I can think of that would've caused that would be the baking powder, but I thought that as an acid/base mixture, it would've evened itself out. The cornbread itself was not overly dense, and while I considered he possibility that I used the wrong leavener on accident, I used milk instead of buttermilk, so baking soda wouldn't have worked if I had accidentally swapped them.

If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thank you!

1. Does your baking powder say aluminum free? If not get aluminum free. There’s something about aluminum baking powder that can create a really bitter taste. I never buy aluminum baking powder. Aluminum baking powder always imparts of weird taste. I thought it was just me and then I read a blog post by pastry chef and cookbook author David Lebovitz.

2. How much baking soda is in recipe? 3/4 tsp per cup cornmeal is enough. Maximum I will use is 1 tsp per cup cornmeal.

3. Whisk. Whisk. Whisk. One thing I find is many bakers usually don’t whisk the dry ingredients thoroughly.

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/why-you-should-use-aluminum-free/

Ask a Question