Getting a new Kitchenaid

Reaction score
I currently have a kitchenaid artisten. It’s over 10 years old and I’ve noticed it laboring under denser loads/bread dough. I’m looking to upgrade and have been looking at the Kitchenaid 6qt or 7qt lift bowl. I’m looking for recommendations on which would be better. I do bread about once a week, never more than 600g of flour at a time. I also do cookies, cakes and icings. Normally I’m more likely to divid a recipe not double it. Volume of the 5qt has never been an issue. Does anyone have a recommendation on which one would work best for what I want to do?

Reaction score
You might want to try one of THESE. They are the top of the line, & should work for you. :)
vis-nav_Commercial-Stand-Mixers.jpg
KA Commercial Stand Mixer..jpg

Reaction score
The 7qt KA bowl lift uses a 1.3hp motor. The 6qt bowl lift has a motor a bit more than half of 1.3hp. Not good product positioning by KitchenAid (Whirlpool) imo.

I have a new stand mixer on my mind, and the 7qt KA bowl lift is on the list. Also are:

Ankarsum original
Bosch Universal
Kenwood 7qt - hard to find a retailer

Reaction score
The 7qt KA bowl lift uses a 1.3hp motor. The 6qt bowl lift has a motor a bit more than half of 1.3hp. Not good product positioning by KitchenAid (Whirlpool) imo.

I have a new stand mixer on my mind, and the 7qt KA bowl lift is on the list. Also are:

Ankarsum original
Bosch Universal

You can also look into the Nutrimil Artiste & Globe's 2 indusrial commercial mixers. I have all 3 & they work very well!! :)
nutrimill mixer & globe mixer..jpg
Here it is next to the Globe mixer!!

Reaction score
Here it is in full view!! It's only slightly smaller than the Bosch Universal, but the spacious work bowl holds a generous 6.5 qts & it has a powerful 650-watt motor at only $299, some places for $249!! :)
My new mixer!!.jpg

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind with the Kitchen Aid lift bowl, it's more difficult to get in there and scrape the bowl. Personal preference, I gave my Kitchen Aid lift bowl to my Daughter-in-law (she's younger and has more patience... lol) and bought another Kitchen Aid Artisan 5 qt.

Reaction score
I have both an Ank and an old (50+ year?) Kitchen Aid; I bought the Ank in part to take the strain off the ancient KA with bread.

I tend to use the Ank for bread and the KA for most other things, as the KA is easier to set up and the ANK (when using the beater setup, not in bread configuration with the roller and metal bowl) has trouble with dense ingredients like cold butter.

It helps to already be familiar with bread making if you get the Ank, because recipes/videos pretty much assume you have a Kitchen Aid (or the equivalent setup) in telling you what to do.

Reaction score
I have both an Ank and an old (50+ year?) Kitchen Aid; I bought the Ank in part to take the strain off the ancient KA with bread.

I tend to use the Ank for bread and the KA for most other things, as the KA is easier to set up and the ANK (when using the beater setup, not in bread configuration with the roller and metal bowl) has trouble with dense ingredients like cold butter.

It helps to already be familiar with bread making if you get the Ank, because recipes/videos pretty much assume you have a Kitchen Aid (or the equivalent setup) in telling you what to do.
I, also, hve the Electrolux Assistant, an older version of the Ank!! Had it since '06, & it STILL works great!! :)
Electrolux Assistant mixer..jpg

Reaction score
I have the larger Kitchenaid lift bowl, and I've had it for over 25 years. I absolutely love it. Originally, I thought I'd get the pasta maker attachment and perhaps a few others, but I never have. In terms of scraping, I stop the mixer, drop the bowl, and scrape. I find the rotating large whisk-like "blade" does a fine job and so pushing down the sides is rarely needed.

One key accessory that I love - the plastic shield. Not because the Kitchenaid splatters - I've never had it do that - but because it includes a large chute in the front that makes it much easier to add dry ingredients while mixing. It's quite powerful, and does everything I could possibly need or want. Easy to clean, I pop the bowl, whisk, and shield in the dishwasher, and the unit itself wipes quickly. The solid handle is handy. I would not consider a mixer without one. I've never used the dough kneading hook that comes with it.

I absolutely love it, and won't go back to a non-lift bowl mixer with a rotating blade.

Reaction score
I would get a Bosch if you are making heavy doughs routinely. A KitchenAid, no matter the model, just isn't made for it. Wattage does not equate to strength. Just power consumption. The Bosch with its undermount motor has the necessary torque for heavy bread dough.

Reaction score

Ankarsum original
Bosch Universal
Yeah I could never have that 6 qt model. The sound of that high-pitched squealing motor is just awful. The 6 qt seems the least reliable and cheaply made of all the models.

Reaction score
I just read that some here are saying that they often have to drop the work bowl of their KA mixers or other brands to scrape the bowl while mixing things. Well, here's something that you can get to make scraping the bowl much easier! It's a very large scraperby Oxo.

Actually, it's an omelett folder /turner, but I also use it for scraping the work bowls of the Nutrimill Artiste mixer, or both of my Globe mixers when I bake cakes! It's very wide & it also helps in emptying the bowl when transfering the batter to cake pans. I find it to be very helpful! Got it from Amazon. :)
Oxo Flip & Fold Silicon Omelet Turner..jpg

Ask a Question