Part ll Grandma's Easter Polish Sweetbread

Reaction score
Well with the holidays, then the dreaded flu for 2 months (terrible) I am attempting my Grandma's Polish Sweet Bread today for the 1st time. I followed the instructions as best I could, I am sure I messed up a few times, but I am trying!!!! On my 2nd rise now, none of it looks like the video's or the pictures posted on that thread, but I felt since it was an Easter bread in my family and especially Grandma's bread, I had to try.

Try and get over that yeast deal (a friend came over and said what I had been doing was ok, I just couldn't make it look like Norcalbaker59's picture which I strived for). So yesterday I threw up my hands, said a few swear words and set up my Hoosier for baking, what it was meant to do! Been at it all morning, nothing looks like "the pictures" that are perfect, but I do have hope as it is looking and rising like "bread" at least.

I haven't disappeared.......holidays, illness, and fear set me back. I will make grandma's bread if this funny looking dough turns out with the air holes I will count it as a SUCCESS........

starting from less than a novice I am. But at least I am trying! And doing it!

Reaction score
Welcome back to the forum @Jean S. :) We haven't 'met' because when you joined I was ill, but I'm back now. I hope the bread turns out well!

Reaction score
Hi Becky, so glad you are better, happy to see you here.

The first attempt was a fail. Soldiering on today with another try.

Reaction score
I hope your next attempt goes well, keep us posted.
Thank you for your support Becky. I have learned a lot from the video's and other than the techniques. But not knowing dough at all, I have no clue if I am doing it correctly or if something is wrong. We are talking "basic beginner" I am. So it will probably take me more tries than this.........

Reaction score
If you're totally unfamiliar with making bread, then it might be useful to start with something more simple so that you get a feel for making dough etc. I understand your desire to recreate your Grandma's bread, but you might make things easier for yourself if you gain more of an understanding of basic breadmaking first :)

Reaction score
I'll think about doing that Becky. But for now I a forging on.

Right now my confusion lies in the mixing the poolish into the other dough. To me the instructions are unclear as the dough can't be spread much in the container it is in, but the instructions don't say where to spread it out. Mixing the poolish in the dough in the container or even a larger bowl doesn't seem to work for me, it gets lumpy, like it is having a difficult time mixing together. Only later in the instructions after the mixing of the 2 & mixing the sugar and salt in to that, to put it on work surface.

Reaction score
You will be satisfied to hear I have learned a lot from my "fails", I guess that is a baker life?

Today I've learned more, still have another try to put in the oven, but I changed a few things up here, learned a lot from my mistakes, and so far the results are better. Now I don't expect this round of bread to turn out, but I am getting closer and am satisfied. I have a hurt hand now so I will have to take a break for a bit, but not long, I am getting closer.

Attached are a few photos, my loved hoosier set up for the way it was intended (many adjustments since then) and my nearly perfect yeast bloom (a fluke thing happened and I now know what was wrong all this time).

Soon Becky, soon........

Attachments

• 1-IMG_0904.JPG
    1-IMG_0904.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 487
  • 1-IMG_0931.JPG
    1-IMG_0931.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 507
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you're making improvements!
Actually Becky the last batch is edible! lol, it did have a hint of the flavor I remember but not the air holes, so I am still getting closer but yet still far away. I actually could feel the dough change through some of the kneading techniques, so that is an improvement as well. Forging on.

I may make a recipe I found with my mothers signature on it this weekend. It is not a personal recipe as is my grandmothers, but moms just the same. An Apple Cake. Now this I am confident I can do.

So either an attempt at the bread or Apple Cake this weekend for me. It is my mothers birthday tomorrow, so in memory of her I may make the cake first. But I am all set up for the next bread adventure. BTW, your Babka looked SUPER!

Reaction score
Mmm I love apple cake, I hope it turned out well. I was brought up in a place called Dorset on the south coast of England, and Dorset Apple Cake is a big thing there. Nowadays whenever I have it, the taste takes me right back to summer afternoons playing outside :)

Reaction score
Mmm I love apple cake, I hope it turned out well. I was brought up in a place called Dorset on the south coast of England, and Dorset Apple Cake is a big thing there. Nowadays whenever I have it, the taste takes me right back to summer afternoons playing outside :)
The Apple Cake is very good, though moms recipe had a cream cheese frosting which turned out to sweet/rich for my taste. I looked up Dorset apple Cake and I think I will try it with some apple on top to brown as well and no frosting. I can see how this cake was a hit with you, it is tasty.

Reaction score
My favourite Dorset Apple Cake is made using eating apples instead of cooking apples, cut into chunks and spread through the batter, and the top is sprinkled with demerera sugar. Yummy! :D

Reaction score
My favourite Dorset Apple Cake is made using eating apples instead of cooking apples, cut into chunks and spread through the batter, and the top is sprinkled with demerera sugar. Yummy! :D
I'll have to look for that sugar, never heard of it. Yes I think I will get a different apple as well, the kind I used didn't have a lot of flavor/punch. But it is a lovely, easy cake to do. Thanks for the sugar idea.

Reaction score
Demerera sugar has quite large crystals, so it adds a lovely crunch to things. Definitely worth a try if you can find it! It's very common here in the UK but I don't know about elsewhere.

Reaction score
Well after searching the internet it looks like the USA carries their version (Florida) and not the real Demerera sugar. They say it is real but if you read more they all have the molasses in it, so to me it is not a true Demerera unless I am wrong in my interpretation.

Reaction score
That sounds more like regular brown sugar, but to be honest as long as it has big crystals I'm sure it'll work fine ;)

Reaction score
That sounds more like regular brown sugar, but to be honest as long as it has big crystals I'm sure it'll work fine ;)
I went to the new grocery here and was pleased to find C&H brand sells Demerara sugar, that is how they spelled it, so I got some thanks!;)

Reaction score
Do you think they bake the sugar on, or sprinkle it when it comes out of the oven?

Ask a Question