Sunflower, Honey & Cheese Bread

Reaction score
I'll apologise now for any wrong word or bad sprinklings spellings because I'm on my tablet not my PC and I'm not very good at swipe touching for input of text!

This is a recipe that sadly I can't have anymore, at least not without omitting one of the key ingredients because I'm allergic to all dairy products. However, when I was able to have it, we love it and it went brilliantly with strews, casseroles and soups. It is largely reliant on you getting a decent tasty cheddar.

Ingredients
2 cups/12oz wholewheat pastry flour (wholemeal flour in the UK)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup/125ml milk or milk alternative
1/4 cup/2-3 oz melted margarine
2 tbsp runny honey
1 tsp prepared mustard
1 packed cup/8 oz grated cheddar cheese (something tasty)
3 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds

Method
  • Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 5
  • Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
  • Beat the eggs, milk, melted margarine, honey and mustard together in another bowl or jug.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until well mixed.
  • Sit in the grated cheese and rotated sunflower seeds retaining a teaspoon for the top of the loaf if wanted.
  • Pour the batter into a 2lb loaf tin and sprinkle over the retained sunflower seeds.
  • Bake for around 45 minutes until golden and the standard knife test is relatively clean (hot cheese clings to metal so it may never get clean!)
  • Allow to cool before removing and serving though it is best served slightly warm. Enjoy.

Ask a Question