Beginner--tweaking a muffin recipe yields wrong consistency

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a favorite muffin recipe that calls for orange juice and finely chopped or grated zucchini. I like to save time and resources by flavoring them with orange zest (in place of cinnamon) and using the juice from that orange, but I just stick it in a food processor and dump in the pulp along with the juice. I also use the food processor to break up the zucchini, which may yield more of a puree than just chopped zucchini. I think it's because of one of my tweaks that the muffins turn out a little burnt on top but overly moist on the bottom (so moist that I can't store them in a sealed Tupperware container for one day!) Which alterations are fine, and which are probably contributing to the problem?
Also, I use a nonstick muffin pan, and though I followed one rule of thumb [decrease the temperature by 25degF and check on them 15 minutes early], they still turned out burnt and moist, albeit less so than the time I forgot to account for the nonstick pan. Could that be a factor?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a favorite muffin recipe that calls for orange juice and finely chopped or grated zucchini. I like to save time and resources by flavoring them with orange zest (in place of cinnamon) and using the juice from that orange, but I just stick it in a food processor and dump in the pulp along with the juice. I also use the food processor to break up the zucchini, which may yield more of a puree than just chopped zucchini. I think it's because of one of my tweaks that the muffins turn out a little burnt on top but overly moist on the bottom (so moist that I can't store them in a sealed Tupperware container for one day!) Which alterations are fine, and which are probably contributing to the problem?
Also, I use a nonstick muffin pan, and though I followed one rule of thumb [decrease the temperature by 25degF and check on them 15 minutes early], they still turned out burnt and moist, albeit less so than the time I forgot to account for the nonstick pan. Could that be a factor?

Thank you!

You have too much liquid in you batter. Zucchini is a high water vegetable. When using it in baked goods you need to grate the zucchini, then squeeze out the excess water. The easiest way to do this is to wrap it in a clean tea towel and wring it.

If you do not own an oven thermometer, I would recommend you purchase one. They’re relatively inexpensive, about $6 USD. Set it up in the center of your oven, preheat your oven for a good 25–30 minutes. Make sure your oven temperature is correct. If not you may need to calibrate your oven. you can usually do this yourself, check your owner’s manual. If you don’t have a copy check the manufactures website.

Don’t hesitate to reduce the oven temperature a little bit more if necessary. Rotate the muffin tin midway through baking.

Reaction score
You have too much liquid in you batter. Zucchini is a high water vegetable. When using it in baked goods you need to grate the zucchini, then squeeze out the excess water. The easiest way to do this is to wrap it in a clean tea towel and wring it.

If you do not own an oven thermometer, I would recommend you purchase one. They’re relatively inexpensive, about $6 USD. Set it up in the center of your oven, preheat your oven for a good 25–30 minutes. Make sure your oven temperature is correct. If not you may need to calibrate your oven. you can usually do this yourself, check your owner’s manual. If you don’t have a copy check the manufactures website.

Don’t hesitate to reduce the oven temperature a little bit more if necessary. Rotate the muffin tin midway through baking.
Thank you so much!

Reaction score
INGREDIENTS
12 PIECES, 271 KCAL AFTER
2 apples
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 cups of flour
3/4 cup sugar (or xylitol)
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/3 teaspoon of salt
1 cup coconut, almond or cow milk
1/4 cup of vegetable oil, e.g. coconut
1 tablespoon of wine or rice vinegar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract or 1 tablespoon of vanilla sugar
3 tablespoons of raisins
1 tablespoon brown sugar for sprinkling

PREPARATION
Cut the apples into quarters, remove the seeds. Dice it, mix with lemon juice and cinnamon.
Pour the flour into a bowl, add sugar, soda, salt and mix. Mix canned coconut milk, measure out the required amount, slightly heat to obtain a uniform consistency.
Make a recess in the flour, pour coconut milk, oil (melt coconut), vinegar and vanilla into them, mix the ingredients gently and briefly with a spoon.
Add apples and mix again. Put into muffin cups, sprinkle with raisins and brown sugar, put in the oven preheated to 180 degrees C and bake for 25 minutes.
TIPS
You can add 2 tablespoons of coconut shavings to the dough along with the flour.

Ask a Question