Can I poor straight melted chocolate on my cake?

Reaction score
I've ganached plenty of cakes in my life, so I get that technique. So this weekend I'm making a birthday cake for my boyfriend's dad that I'd gonna be lindt truffle-inspired. I wanted originally to ganache the cake, but then I thought I'd rather use whipped ganache instead of buttercream, which makes me not want to ganache it.
So I thought it would most resemble a lindt truffle if I use melted chocolate in place of ganache to coat the whole cake. Would that work? Would the chocolate get too hard to then be able to cut the cake? Any ideas are welcome!

Reaction score
I've ganached plenty of cakes in my life, so I get that technique. So this weekend I'm making a birthday cake for my boyfriend's dad that I'd gonna be lindt truffle-inspired. I wanted originally to ganache the cake, but then I thought I'd rather use whipped ganache instead of buttercream, which makes me not want to ganache it.
So I thought it would most resemble a lindt truffle if I use melted chocolate in place of ganache to coat the whole cake. Would that work? Would the chocolate get too hard to then be able to cut the cake? Any ideas are welcome!

It’s not advisable. First you would need to temper the chocolate. You would also need to be able to Poor and extremely thin coat. That would be near impossible to do. It would be better to make a chocolate glaze

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve done this before and find a drop of oil keeps it soft and easy to cut. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question