How to keep my cupcakes from rising so much (make them flatter)

Reaction score
Please help me, im at a loss! Its very last minute and my friend just asked me to make cupcakes for her baby shower which is in a few days but im not getting the results im looking for! This might sound a bit weird considering that most of us want the perfect round cupcake, but in order to get the best results with the piping techniques i wanted to use, i really need a flatter top rather than a perfect rounded cupcake lol. How can i keep my cupcakes from rising so much? If there isnt a way to reduce how they rise, is there a way to make them flater once im done baking them? Picture of what im planning to do because why not?😝
IMG_8187.png
IMG_8186.png
Thank you so much to anyone who sees this and takes the time to answer🫶

Reaction score
Please help me, im at a loss! Its very last minute and my friend just asked me to make cupcakes for her baby shower which is in a few days but im not getting the results im looking for! This might sound a bit weird considering that most of us want the perfect round cupcake, but in order to get the best results with the piping techniques i wanted to use, i really need a flatter top rather than a perfect rounded cupcake lol. How can i keep my cupcakes from rising so much? If there isnt a way to reduce how they rise, is there a way to make them flater once im done baking them? Picture of what im planning to do because why not?😝 View attachment 4925View attachment 4926Thank you so much to anyone who sees this and takes the time to answer🫶

Lower oven temperature
Use a light colored uncoated baking tin that is NOT anodized aluminum. Dark metal, coated metal, and anodized aluminum conduct heat too intensely. The batter on sides and bottom in contact with the metal bakes and sets too quickly. The raw center continues to rise as it is not set. The finished cupcake/cake has low sides and a high domed too.

Doming is only possible when there is a lot of developed gluten. All that gluten makes a chewier cake/cupcake/muffin. So aesthetics aside a flat top makes a more tender cake/cupcake/muffin.

Reaction score
Lower oven temperature
Use a light colored uncoated baking tin that is NOT anodized aluminum. Dark metal, coated metal, and anodized aluminum conduct heat too intensely. The batter on sides and bottom in contact with the metal bakes and sets too quickly. The raw center continues to rise as it is not set. The finished cupcake/cake has low sides and a high domed too.

Doming is only possible when there is a lot of developed gluten. All that gluten makes a chewier cake/cupcake/muffin. So aesthetics aside a flat top makes a more tender cake/cupcake/muffin.
Thank you for your answer! Which cake and cupcake pans do you recommend specifically? Lately ive been having the same issues that you mentioned with mine (they are dark colored cheese cake pans). All the edges of the cake burn before the cakes even have a chance to fully cook!

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer! Which cake and cupcake pans do you recommend specifically? Lately ive been having the same issues that you mentioned with mine (they are dark colored cheese cake pans). All the edges of the cake burn before the cakes even have a chance to fully cook!

Chicago Metallic Uncoated Commerical II if you can find them. They have become scarce since the parent company of USA Pan purchased Chicago Metallic and destroyed one of the best lines of commercial bakeware. My Chicago Metallic bakeware is my go-to pan.

NordicWare Naturals line is uncoated and decent enough to earn kudos from America's Test Kitchen. I have their sheet pans and muffin tins.

For a cheesecake pan and cake pans in general Parrish Magic Line. Their loose bottom pans can be used for both cheesecake and regular cake batter. This line has had a cult-like following among event cake bakers because it not does not produce a thick hard dry crust. White wedding cake bakes to a lovely light in color, with a soft crust. Parrish has also been favored for the straight sharp edges on their square pans. I will say that someone posted a photo of a square pan not too long ago and it did not look at all like the quality of Parrish square pans. The outside corners had a thick weld line, something that was never in Parrish pans in the past. I purchased some Parrish loose bottom round cake pans last year, and they are the same as my older ones.

325°F is my standard temperature for cake. It is with rare exception that I bake a cake at 350°F. The exceptions are very heavy batters with higher moisture content like carrot cake, hummingbird cake, and some chocolate cakes.

I also use Wilton cloth baking strips around my cake pans to insulate the sides of the pan. Soak the cloth strips for about 15 minutes, then squeeze out excess water. The wet cloth insulates the side of the cake pan allowing the batter to bake more evenly. The cake will be perfectly level and rise to the full height of the pan (assuming a well formulated cake batter).

Parrish pans are only sold in restaurant supply stores and specialty cake supply stores. I have purchased a few online from this site.

Reaction score
I was just looking at cake pans that I have at my son’s house. The springform pan is a uncoated Chicago Metallic pan. That particular springform pan is part of their commercial line so it’s difficult to find. Unfortunately, the commercial line sells at a premium. The loose bottom is a Parrish Magic Pan. The traditional cake pan is William Sonoma’s TraditionalTouch. A few months back I purchased several different pans from the TraditionalTouch line. I was pleased with the performance of the pans.

Also note that uncoated aluminum must be handwashed. Dishwasher detergent is an strong alkaline; it will oxidize the metal (turns the metal gray and creates a film on it).

IMG_5646.jpeg

I’ve purchased bakeware from Wasserstrom restaurant supply. My local restaurant supply store has limited bakeware, so if they don’t have what I am looking for, I will order it through Wasserstrom restaurant supplies.

Reaction score
If domed after baking then you can take a clean dish towel and press the dome down. Or put a dish towel over the whole pan then a cookie sheet pan on top with some weight.

Reaction score
If domed after baking then you can take a clean dish towel and press the dome down. Or put a dish towel over the whole pan then a cookie sheet pan on top with some weight.
Unfortunately, that’s not sanitary. Dish towels have bacteria, even after washing. Bacteria on kitchen towels is such an issue that Health departments prohibit their use on all food contact surfaces. Have you ever noticed in a restaurant the dishware and utensils are sometimes still wet from the dishwasher? Restaurant dishwashers heat to 180°F to sterilize dishware.

Restaurant dishwashers heat up to 180°F to sterilize dishware. Restaurant staff cannot use a kitchen towel to dry excess water because the towel will contaminate the dishware with bacteria.

Physically collapsing the top of a cake just compacts the crumb. So just adds another problem to an already overbaked dry hard crusty cake. It makes more sense to prevent a domed cake altogether by using the appropriate bakeware, tools, and temperature.

Reaction score
Please help me, im at a loss! Its very last minute and my friend just asked me to make cupcakes for her baby shower which is in a few days but im not getting the results im looking for! This might sound a bit weird considering that most of us want the perfect round cupcake, but in order to get the best results with the piping techniques i wanted to use, i really need a flatter top rather than a perfect rounded cupcake lol. How can i keep my cupcakes from rising so much? If there isnt a way to reduce how they rise, is there a way to make them flater once im done baking them? Picture of what im planning to do because why not?😝 View attachment 4925View attachment 4926Thank you so much to anyone who sees this and takes the time to answer🫶
Your cupcakes are beautiful! I make mine flatter by turning them upside down onto parchment once they're baked. Let them cool that way. Since I have a cookie business, I do the same with cookies so they'll be flat enough to do what I want on them.

Ask a Question