Looking for Recipe: German Divinity Cookie with Chocolate and Walnut Chips

Reaction score
I've just e-mailed Nathalie Dupree, a Southern lady, and am waiting for a reply. I've also been busy on google and as far as I can see, Divinity is similar to meringue but it does have differences. It's made from sugar and corn syrup and egg whites with a few other ingredients and it is baked. Many of the posts refer to it as either simple Divinity or Divinity Cookies. There are a few recipes for cookies but they don't look anything like the real Divinity. If I were you, I'd take a look at (Google) Divinity Cookies and maybe have a go at making some yourself. It might turn out to be what you're looking for. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything. Good luck in your search!

Reaction score
I've just e-mailed Nathalie Dupree, a Southern lady, and am waiting for a reply. I've also been busy on google and as far as I can see, Divinity is similar to meringue but it does have differences. It's made from sugar and corn syrup and egg whites with a few other ingredients and it is baked. Many of the posts refer to it as either simple Divinity or Divinity Cookies. There are a few recipes for cookies but they don't look anything like the real Divinity. If I were you, I'd take a look at (Google) Divinity Cookies and maybe have a go at making some yourself. It might turn out to be what you're looking for. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything. Good luck in your search!
Thank you, you are great. The cookies I am thinking of don't remind me of meringue at all though, more of a whipped shortbread. I have scoured the internet to my best abilities and haven't had any luck so far though.

Reaction score
Hi! I know exactly what you are describing because I’ve had them abs I’m looking for them too. The bakery where I grew up made them and it think they were called divinity. It closed a long time ago.

It’s this what you remember?
You just might be the winner!!! That sure does look like them. Now how do we get the recipe? Or heck someone to just ship them to me. You are fantastic.

Reaction score
You just might be the winner!!! That sure does look like them. Now how do we get the recipe? Or heck someone to just ship them to me. You are fantastic.

I’ve been looking for a recipe forever too. Only place I’ve seen them is at Lucci’s bakery in Huntington Beach, where I grew up. They still sell them there, and my sister sends me a care package every once in awhile! They are the best cookies everrrrrr. Salty yet sweet & melt in your mouth.

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for a recipe for my all time favorite childhood cookie and am having no luck. We called it a Divinity cookie and I think it was maybe German. It was like a whipped shortbread maybe, was white and domed like a plop of half circle. It was crisp but light and airy with tiny chocolate chips and maybe walnut chips but the unique thing about it was the outer layer was a soft ??? I don't know how to describe it?. I don't think it was rolled in anything, I think it just came out that way, it was a layer of soft fluff that stuck to my fingers. I hope this makes some sense to someone out there. lol Thanks for any help and for taking the time to read this.

YES!! I used to get them there too. I grew up at Bushard and Hamilton. Maybe I'll have to call them and bribe them to ship me some. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
YES!! I used to get them there too. I grew up at Bushard and Hamilton. Maybe I'll have to call them and bribe them to ship me some. Thank you very much.
Ha, I grew up at Magnolia/Atlanta but my dad now lives in your neighborhood, by Gisler Park! Small world.

Reaction score
Ha, I grew up at Magnolia/Atlanta but my dad now lives in your neighborhood, by Gisler Park! Small world.
Very small world. I grew up in the Eader track and went to Gisler the last year it was open. Switched to Sowers for 8th grade.

Reaction score
What year did you graduate HS? It sounds like we are close to the same year. I’m edison class of 91.

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a recipe forever too. Only place I’ve seen them is at Lucci’s bakery in Huntington Beach, where I grew up. They still sell them there, and my sister sends me a care package every once in awhile! They are the best cookies everrrrrr. Salty yet sweet & melt in your mouth.

Sadly Lucci’s is closing its doors on the 26th so get them while you can!

Reaction score
Did you ever find the recipe for Divinity cookies? I also loved these from my childhood in Claremont, CA at a bakery called Griswald's. I recently found something similar at Pike Bakery in Pike's Market Seattle but I have never found a recipe. Hope you will share.

Reaction score
I emailed Lucci’s in hopes of acquiring the recipe & apparently they’re planning to reopen within the year, but in a smaller location. They said they’re scaling back the bakery but they will still have our fave divinity cookies. So it was a no-go on the recipe, but at least they are reopening!

Reaction score
I emailed Lucci’s in hopes of acquiring the recipe & apparently they’re planning to reopen within the year, but in a smaller location. They said they’re scaling back the bakery but they will still have our fave divinity cookies. So it was a no-go on the recipe, but at least they are reopening!
Right on, fantastic news. I was actually just there last week and saw that they were closed. I was so sad, I was planning on getting cookies while I was in town. Good to hear they will re-open. Keep us/me updated if you hear about when and where they reopen. BTW, I just saw your message from February and I an Edison class of 1991 also. hahaha and the world gets smaller yet. I did not graduate from there though. I was only there through sophomore year. I probably don't know you if we didn't go to the same middle school, but I'm super curious as to who you are. I'll start, I'm Karen Jeffers.

Reaction score
Did you ever find the recipe for Divinity cookies? I also loved these from my childhood in Claremont, CA at a bakery called Griswald's. I recently found something similar at Pike Bakery in Pike's Market Seattle but I have never found a recipe. Hope you will share.
I have not found them or their recipe. I'll share if I ever find it, promise.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you ever hear from your friend?

Reaction score
Hi I’m Kristi Wunch, and i went to sowers for middle school and then flaked out of Edison and went into independent study to finish my last year of HS. Your name sounds familiar but I can’t quite picture a face. I wonder if I can find an old yearbook. Lol small af world!

Reaction score
Lol we would have totally been friends. I left Edison sophomore year when I flaked out, went on sabbatical from life as I like to call it. Did my fair share of drugs, got into a little trouble and I went to independent studies but in Irvine. Then I started working fulltime and graduated from Irvine's continuation school. Took me a few years to get back on track. Your name sounds familiar too. Find a yearbook!! Mine are MIA.

Ask a Question