Looking for Recipe: German Divinity Cookie with Chocolate and Walnut Chips

Reaction score
I've been collecting pics from all over social media like Gollum- my precioussssssssss :D

I've noticed only people buying from bakeries and not home cooks posting. I wish there was a master bakery recipe list floating around or something. How is it possible all these bakeries have the recipe but it's nowhere to be found online. It is a mystery that has been plaguing me for years!
You are exactly right. Most well kept secret. I figured the internet would break the closed lipped, but no luck.

Reaction score
One of my pictures (the one with the donuts) are the Lucci's cookies. I had them at my wedding and also my son's 1st birthday. Have you tried Paouls? The yelp reviews scare me haha!

Reaction score
I'm looking for the same cookie recipe for a divinity cookie and yes they were called divinity cookies. I used to buy them at the local Vons when I was a kid. I have posted pictures of the divinity cookie. I just bought these at French's Bakery in Costa Mesa, CA (Santa Ana and 17th). I keep hoping they will share the recipe, but as of yet no luck.
My birthday cake from my late mother always came from French's as a child. It was chocolate with whipped cream and sliced bananas and I wish I could have it again this January. I miss my mom and I miss her getting me this cake every year.

Reaction score
So how close are we all? I grew up in Huntington Beach then Costa Mesa then Orange then back to HB now I'm in Lake Elsinore. Never thought I'd live here. We used to make fun of the 909 but here I am.

Reaction score
My birthday cake from my late mother always came from French's as a child. It was chocolate with whipped cream and sliced bananas and I wish I could have it again this January. I miss my mom and I miss her getting me this cake every year.
I know my memories of food are also all tied up with memories of my family. My late grandmother used to buy me the divinity/Angel cookies <3
My condolences on the passing of your mom. I lost my mom as well about 13 years ago, and I miss her ever day.
Does French's still make that cake? They were one of the bakeries in Costa Mesa that apparently carries pink divinty cookies. Maybe a visit is in order.

To answer your separate question, I'm in the long beach area, used to live in Costa Mesa :)

Reaction score
One of my pictures (the one with the donuts) are the Lucci's cookies. I had them at my wedding and also my son's 1st birthday. Have you tried Paouls? The yelp reviews scare me haha!
I have not heard of Paouls, no. I tried to find the yelp reviews but no luck.

Reaction score
combine an 18 oz box cake mix and 8 oz tub cool whip topping and 1 egg, mix, shape and drop into powder sugar , arrange and bake. 325f x 12 mins.

Reaction score
Hey fellow searchers!

I'm doing some test baking tonight. I read all about what ingredients do in cookies to try and narrow down which recipe to try. Below are my notes

Pure white cookie - use shortening

Doesn't rise- no leavening

Low moisture- use powdered sugar instead of granulated

No cream of tartar- makes chewy

Low moisture and dense - no egg?

Doesn't rise- no leavening

Can taste salt

Doesn't spread- chill dough

Domed shape - try ice cream scoop

Not browned- bake lower temp

Based on that I decided to try this recipe:

I halved the recipe, and subbed mini semi sweet chocolate chips for the nuts.

The dough tastes just like the cookies I remember! It's currently scooped and chilling in the fridge.

Will update after I bake. Cross your fingers!

Attachments

• D26AFE42-126E-4536-810A-8A78BFF67FEA.jpeg
    D26AFE42-126E-4536-810A-8A78BFF67FEA.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Well friends, I'm definitely on the right track!!! This recipe was wayyyyy closer to what I remember them the ones I tried previously.

The taste is exactly right, and they have the soft outer and harder inner texture.

Things that need to change -

I browned them a tiny bit so I'll try a lower temp next time.

They are a touch dry/crumbly looking on the outside so I might tweak the ingredient ratios

The inside did not have air pockets. I think it's steam that makes air pockets inside? Maybe if I add egg white? Or use some butter and some shortening?

But they satisfied my craving for this cookie so that's a win in my book!

Attachments

• E2129982-97CE-4DBF-BC16-BF06CA397E45.jpeg
    E2129982-97CE-4DBF-BC16-BF06CA397E45.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
If you are in SoCal, Gelsons in Irvine has them! They are made fresh in the bakery section. Both pecan and chocolate

SEB

Reaction score
I wonder if folded egg whites into the recipe @Kpow listed would make them more airy? I am going to try this week

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for a recipe for my all time favorite childhood cookie and am having no luck. We called it a Divinity cookie and I think it was maybe German. It was like a whipped shortbread maybe, was white and domed like a plop of half circle. It was crisp but light and airy with tiny chocolate chips and maybe walnut chips but the unique thing about it was the outer layer was a soft ??? I don't know how to describe it?. I don't think it was rolled in anything, I think it just came out that way, it was a layer of soft fluff that stuck to my fingers. I hope this makes some sense to someone out there. lol Thanks for any help and for taking the time to read this.
I know what you are talking about! I dont have a recipe for them but if anyone is in southern California, there is a spot that has them (French's Cupcake Bakery on 17th St in Costa Mesa!) They have white ones with nuts and pink ones with chocolate chips. They are just as you describe them! I also grew up with them and any search for the recipe returns candy and I can't find the recipe anywhere!

SEB

Reaction score
Ok I am so close… I now know that there was definitely vanilla and almond extract in the Lucci cookies. 1 teaspoon vanilla half a teaspoon almond extract I added this to my batch today and it tastes exactly like their cookies. I have the flavor right but still working on consistency

Reaction score
I know exactly what you are talking about. At the bakery when I was a kid they were shaped like a chocolate chip with tiny chocolate chips in them. They were white, punk, and green. They are not crispy at all. More like a pasty cookie that is soft. It is difficult to explain. Ladt summer I found a bakery n Cle Elm Washington State that had them. So good.

I came across this page where a gal was trying to replicate the recipe because she couldn't find it either. I am going to try it. She says use the freshest nuts possible because stale nuts ruin the flavor.

Divinity Cookies

Makes 2 Dozen Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Beat butter and shortening together until combined, then stir in powdered sugar and beat until creamy, about 2 minutes. Stir in egg white and vanilla and beat well. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cream of tartar and baking soda. Slowly add to creamy mixture, mixing well until soft dough is formed. Stir in nuts. Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Dip a the back of a spoon in water and then powdered sugar and flatten dough balls slightly. Bake for 11-13 minutes until slightly browned on the edges. Cool 10 minutes on the pan then move to wire rack to finish cooling. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar if desired.

Reaction score
I too am looking for the same recipe. Lucci's Italian Bakery Deli in Huntington Beach (it closed on 2022) they made these. I sent a message to them on Facebook & she responded saying that yes they are called a Divinity Cookie. Pikes Place Bakrry in WA makes them too. Lucci's says they plan to reopen. This blog has more info & a recipe that I think will be close. Good luck
Kitchenfullofsunshine.bolgspot.com/2013/06/divinity-cookies.html

Reaction score
It sounds like you're describing a unique and delicious cookie! The soft outer layer you mentioned could be a meringue, which is often used to create a light and airy texture on cookies. You might want to search for recipes for "meringue cookies" or "whipped shortbread cookies" and see if any resemble the one you remember from childhood. Good luck in your search!

Ask a Question