Looking for Recipe: German Divinity Cookie with Chocolate and Walnut Chips

Reaction score
Lol we would have totally been friends. I left Edison sophomore year when I flaked out, went on sabbatical from life as I like to call it. Did my fair share of drugs, got into a little trouble and I went to independent studies but in Irvine. Then I started working fulltime and graduated from Irvine's continuation school. Took me a few years to get back on track. Your name sounds familiar too. Find a yearbook!! Mine are MIA.
Dude….. friend me now. Lol

Reaction score
Hi ladywillow-

Based on your description, try this:
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch or rice flour
1 teas. vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add cornstarch or rice flour, vanilla and flour. Beat 2-3 minutes until very light. Stir in chips. Form balls, I used a tablespoon sized cookie scoop, and place on a silicone mat on a sheet. Flatten slightly with fingers. Chill 20 minutes while you heat up the oven to 325. Bake 20 minutes until very lightly golden. Let sit on sheet five minutes then move to racks to cool completely. Made 38 cookies. Can be frozen.
Do let me know how close I came to your childhood memory.

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a recipe forever too. Only place I’ve seen them is at Lucci’s bakery in Huntington Beach, where I grew up. They still sell them there, and my sister sends me a care package every once in awhile! They are the best cookies everrrrrr. Salty yet sweet & melt in your mouth.
I’ve been looking for a recipe forever too. Only place I’ve seen them is at Lucci’s bakery in Huntington Beach, where I grew up. They still sell them there, and my sister sends me a care package every once in awhile! They are the best cookies everrrrrr. Salty yet sweet & melt in your mouth.
They have the cookies you are looking for in Antioch, California at a bakery called Mike’s Pastry Shop. It’s an old German recipe. They have an Instagram where you can check out their picture to see if it’s the cookie you are looking for. I’m sure they will ship them to you! Having been buying them there for over 30 years.

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for a recipe for my all time favorite childhood cookie and am having no luck. We called it a Divinity cookie and I think it was maybe German. It was like a whipped shortbread maybe, was white and domed like a plop of half circle. It was crisp but light and airy with tiny chocolate chips and maybe walnut chips but the unique thing about it was the outer layer was a soft ??? I don't know how to describe it?. I don't think it was rolled in anything, I think it just came out that way, it was a layer of soft fluff that stuck to my fingers. I hope this makes some sense to someone out there. lol Thanks for any help and for taking the time to read this.

I know exactly what you are talking about! Me and my sister have been searching for the same thing for years from our childhood memories. The photo that somebody posted of the divinity cookie from Pikes place market is it! I tried it a few years ago (from Pikes place) and it is exactly what I remember. I'm in the process of trying a whipped shortbread cookie recipe. The texture is very similar but it still tastes a little too much like shortbread than what I remember. All of the divinity cookies I have looked for doesn't seem like the right texture at all so I feel like its a cross between divinity cookie and shortbread cookie!

Reaction score
Could this be the one you're looking for?

Reaction score
Did you ever get the answer? I also live n CA and I came across your post when I was looking for th cookie. It’s xactly as you describe. I remember it also but don’t know the name of it. It was soft and almost velvety on the outside and then almost crunchy on the inside. It was delicious. My mom found them at the grocery store bakery when I was a kid. They were usually white with small mini chocolate chips in them but I do remember that they were sometimes pink. The chocolate sent too much. It didn’t overpower the taste of the cookie. I found recipes for divinity cookies and wonder if that’s it?. My mom would only buy a couple because I would finish all of them! And you did not change your description at all. It’s exactly as I remember them! So nic to know I’m not the only one!

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for a recipe for my all time favorite childhood cookie and am having no luck. We called it a Divinity cookie and I think it was maybe German. It was like a whipped shortbread maybe, was white and domed like a plop of half circle. It was crisp but light and airy with tiny chocolate chips and maybe walnut chips but the unique thing about it was the outer layer was a soft ??? I don't know how to describe it?. I don't think it was rolled in anything, I think it just came out that way, it was a layer of soft fluff that stuck to my fingers. I hope this makes some sense to someone out there. lol Thanks for any help and for taking the time to read this.
Ok, I have now tried 3 different recipes and I found the closest I have come so far!

2 Cups sifted powdered sugar
1 Cup CRISCO (I did NOT use butter flavor)
1 Cup flour
1 Cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
* Can add walnuts or chocolate chips - I did chocolate

Drop by spoonfuls on parchment paper. They don't change shape too much so what they look like going in is pretty much what they look like coming out. Only a tiny bit bigger. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. (I had to bake mine 2 minutes longer for my oven.) Very important they do not brown at all. They should be completely white. Since the cookies stick to your fingers, don't touch them to check to see if they are done because it is hot!

The texture is EXACTLY like the childhood cookie I remember but the flavor is a little bit off. I think next time I make them I would experiment around with adding vanilla. I'm pretty sure the shortening cannot be substituted for butter to achieve the same texture but I haven't tried it. I always remember my cookies being pure white so I don't think it was ever done with butter.

PS - I have also been searching for this recipe for YEARS and I cannot take any credit for the above recipe. I found it in a comment section going down a rabbit hole searching for the recipe. I still have not found an actual recipe online for this cookie. In the Pikes place market in Seattle, they call them Divinity cookies, but I can tell from reading the recipe ingredients of divinity cookies, it would not be a match. I did try a couple different recipes for whipped shortbread cookies and they were also not the same texture or flavor. The pictures look very similar, but they definitely are different. Hope this helps the others out there! While the recipe still isn't perfect, it still satisfied my craving with that silky, melt in your mouth texture. Please update if anybody else tries this recipe and makes some changes that work well!!

Reaction score
Ok, I have now tried 3 different recipes and I found the closest I have come so far!

1 Cup flour
1 Cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt

Drop by spoonfuls on parchment paper. They don't change shape too much so what they look like going in is pretty much what they look like coming out. Only a tiny bit bigger. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. (I had to bake mine 2 minutes longer for my oven.) Very important they do not brown at all. They should be completely white. Since the cookies stick to your fingers, don't touch them to check to see if they are done because it is hot!

The texture is EXACTLY like the childhood cookie I remember but the flavor is a little bit off. I think next time I make them I would experiment around with adding vanilla. I'm pretty sure the shortening cannot be substituted for butter to achieve the same texture but I haven't tried it. I always remember my cookies being pure white so I don't think it was ever done with butter.

PS - I have also been searching for this recipe for YEARS and I cannot take any credit for the above recipe. I found it in a comment section going down a rabbit hole searching for the recipe. I still have not found an actual recipe online for this cookie. In the Pikes place market in Seattle, they call them Divinity cookies, but I can tell from reading the recipe ingredients of divinity cookies, it would not be a match. I did try a couple different recipes for whipped shortbread cookies and they were also not the same texture or flavor. The pictures look very similar, but they definitely are different. Hope this helps the others out there! While the recipe still isn't perfect, it still satisfied my craving with that silky, melt in your mouth texture. Please update if anybody else tries this recipe and makes some changes that work well!!
Thank you so much! I can’t wait to try it!

Reaction score
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 heaping cup shortening
2 cups cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Knead ingredients into a paste like consistency and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

This is how I make them. Good luck

Reaction score

1 Cup flour
1 Cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS RECIPE FOR YEARS! Last time I had them at Pike's Place I tasted almond - I wondered if it was flour or extract? (Or neither, lol!)

Reaction score
Hey there I don't know if you'll still look at this but I think I know exactly what your talking about because it's been bugging me for years every days it's mirangue it's divinity but it's not the one time I had them they were not chewy just the outside was barely a little sticky and I think I finally figured it out, the forgotten cookie.
Preheat oven to 350,Beat 2-3 egg whites 1/8 tsp tartar and a pinch of salt until stiff then while mixing on high (I used a hand mixer) mix in 1 cup powder sugar 1tsp at a time then fold in about 1tsp of vanilla and then add chocolate chips or nuts whatever you want them place dollops on parchment paper on cookie sheet put them in the oven then turn the oven off then the sucky part wait at least 6hrs without opening the oven. My first batch I opened after 4 hours and they were still chewy so I said I'm going to try again and let them sit over night about 7-8 hrs then when I got them out in the morning they were what I remembered I crushed one and it crumbled I took a bite and it crunched then melted in my mouth no chewy yucky they were like if you freeze dried whip cream. And yes in my opinion they are cookies everyone says it's divinity candy but it's not I hope you try this and see because no one knows what I'm talking about and still no one I know has had cookies like these

Reaction score
I grew up in Santa Ana and there was a Danish bakery in Orange that made them and called them Angel Cookies. I now live in HB and was beyond thrilled to find them at Lucci’s under a different name, Chocolate Chip Divinity Cookies, and it was one of several reasons I was sad they closed earlier this year. The bakery in Orange moved to Tustin for a while and they’re now in Costa Mesa. My husband randomly had an ad for them on FB. Look up Poul’s Bakery (not Paul’s) and ask for their Angel Cookies. They make them the same size as Lucci’s, and they’ve added a mini size with the exact same taste and texture. Eating them again inspired me to once more do a deep dive for the recipe, and that’s how I landed here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I grew up in Santa Ana and there was a Danish bakery in Orange that made them and called them Angel Cookies. I now live in HB and was beyond thrilled to find them at Lucci’s under a different name, Chocolate Chip Divinity Cookies, and it was one of several reasons I was sad they closed earlier this year. The bakery in Orange moved to Tustin for a while and they’re now in Costa Mesa. My husband randomly had an ad for them on FB. Look up Poul’s Bakery (not Paul’s) and ask for their Angel Cookies. They make them the same size as Lucci’s, and they’ve added a mini size with the exact same taste and texture. Eating them again inspired me to once more do a deep dive for the recipe, and that’s how I landed here.
We live close to you, I’ve been looking for this recipe also for over a couple decades. I used to get them at pavilions they would sometimes come in pink, white or green. Pouls bakery and Luccis (which is hopefully reopening again soon) are so far the only bakery’s I’ve found them at. Every time I hear one of them is closing I worry that my ability to get them will stop. I haven’t had one since lucci’s closed. Good luck to you, I’ll post if I find anything here. We need an undercover worker in there to make them ;)

Reaction score
I have found my people! I have been going down internet rabbit holes for years trying to recreate these dang cookies. My grandma called them Angel cookies, she got them from Hughes market in Burbank from their bakery. I loved them so much as a kid. Years later a coworker brought them in to the office and I about jumped for joy when I realized they were the long lost Angel cookies. She got them from Lucci’s. And I’ve just now realized they closed- waaah! The recipes I’ve tried, many shared here in this thread end up looking right but the texture is too soft all the way through the cookie. Like others have said, the exterior texture (maybe 1/4” in), is a soft, velvety almost like a polovorone cookie or the colored topping on pan dulce, definitely a shortbread with lard or shortening. Then as you get to the interior it’s hard and crumbly with air pockets. I dream of these things. I’m definitely going to check out pouls bakery and will report back. I’ll take pictures of the inside of the cookie too- for science.

Reaction score
Divinity is candy, not a cookie. It was extremely popular in the south in the 1950’s - 1960’s. It is big plops of billowy white cloyingly sweet egg whites, corn syrup and sugar.

My grandmother was a southerner; I, too have memories of divinity at Christmas. The little candy store in the tiny town of Pine Grove, population 100, sold handmade divinity. Of course my grandma would never buy it because why buy some thing you can make yourself.

But if divinity candy is not what you remember and you’re certain you ate a cookie, it could not be an actual German cookie because chocolate chips are an American invention. It would have been an Americanized version of a German cookie.

The only type of German cookie that would have the textured you describe is haselnussmakronen ohne oblaten. A Meringue cookie that is essentially the German version of a macaron made with hazelnut. It is not a sandwich cookie like the French macaron, rather it’s made as a single cookie and formed in a mound shape.
I'm looking for the same cookie recipe for a divinity cookie and yes they were called divinity cookies. I used to buy them at the local Vons when I was a kid. I have posted pictures of the divinity cookie. I just bought these at French's Bakery in Costa Mesa, CA (Santa Ana and 17th). I keep hoping they will share the recipe, but as of yet no luck.

Attachments

• 20230224_134221.jpg
    20230224_134221.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230224_134248.jpg
    20230224_134248.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Thank you, you are great. The cookies I am thinking of don't remind me of meringue at all though, more of a whipped shortbread. I have scoured the internet to my best abilities and haven't had any luck so far though.
I attached pictures of the Divinity Cookie I'm used to on the first page of this thread. It's definitely not a candy or a meringue. I think LadyWillow described them well.

Reaction score
C843E900-3E93-4CB2-9E01-210B90EE13D1.jpeg

Attachments

• 27EF6BB8-269F-42D8-89AB-8293504E316A.jpeg
    27EF6BB8-269F-42D8-89AB-8293504E316A.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 12
  • FE5DFF2A-9F39-4E7E-90B1-9174697A9BC5.jpeg
    FE5DFF2A-9F39-4E7E-90B1-9174697A9BC5.jpeg
    547 KB · Views: 10
  • 01E3FE35-2841-4FAC-B25C-82D48D19A964.jpeg
    01E3FE35-2841-4FAC-B25C-82D48D19A964.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
I've been collecting pics from all over social media like Gollum- my precioussssssssss :D

I've noticed only people buying from bakeries and not home cooks posting. I wish there was a master bakery recipe list floating around or something. How is it possible all these bakeries have the recipe but it's nowhere to be found online. It is a mystery that has been plaguing me for years!

Reaction score
We live close to you, I’ve been looking for this recipe also for over a couple decades. I used to get them at pavilions they would sometimes come in pink, white or green. Pouls bakery and Luccis (which is hopefully reopening again soon) are so far the only bakery’s I’ve found them at. Every time I hear one of them is closing I worry that my ability to get them will stop. I haven’t had one since lucci’s closed. Good luck to you, I’ll post if I find anything here. We need an undercover worker in there to make them ;)
Lucci's was the BEST!! Yes they had these cookies too.

Ask a Question