Tips for Princess Bed Cake Baking

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been trying to back the a cake to make a 'princess bed' cake for my daughters' fourth birthday and was planning on using a recipe I have used before and it has always turned out well. However, this time I am increasing the recipe by half and using three 12" by 6" cake tins instead of three 8" circular tins (I am using a multi size baking tin).

Problem is, the cakes just come out all stodgy and have not risen properly. I am now getting short on time and have one more chance to do it tomorrow after work, otherwise it's a trip to the supermarket, which would be a great shame.

I am not sure if I have the proportions right (is a 50% increase ok, or too much / little) or if the cooking time should be increased. This states 30-33mins for the 8" circular tins and I stuck with this. A cocktail stick came out clean and the cake tester changed colour on the tip, suggesting cooked, but rise disappointing and stodgy cake which went straight in the bin. Should the cake be in longer, maybe at a lower temperature 160 instead of 180?

I'm having another crack tomorrow and really don't want it to go wrong again! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The link to the recipe is below, if useful

Thank you

Reaction score
I am not seeing a link so shooting in the dark here....
As a general rule a recipe that has proven successful in the past can be increased if the math is dead on.
Not sure what stodgy means but go ahead and double the recipe and fill your pans 2/3 full.
Toss any leftover or make a a few cuppies.
The cake may rise too high but it is way simpler to trim than to remake another recipe.
Good luck...

huny

Reaction score
Welcoem to the forum! :)

I would have thought that they would need longer in the oven - around 45 mins at a guess. If you open the oven to check on them too early then they can collapse and become stodgy - therefore it's important to wait until at least 80% of the bake time has elapsed before you check on them. The reason for this is the structure of the cake hasn't set, and a rush of cold air causes it to drop.

Reaction score
You also may be over mixing the batter. If you over mix batter to the point it has too much air in it, you can get this happening to the cakes in the oven. All that air has to exit at some point, and it leaves the cake "stodgy".

Are you making the recipe plus your extra addition all in the same bowl?
I make the correct recipe in one bowl, then make the additional or altered recipe in another bowl, then I lightly fold them into each other after I have lightly mixed them. This always works for me.
That way if I mess up the additional or altered part, it's in a separate bowl and I can fix it or start over.

As for throwing cake away.......
https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/dont-throw-that-away.3238/

Ask a Question