Tips to prevent cakes sticking to tin

Reaction score
I always grease my tins but my cakes often stick, sometimes even splitting when I get them out. Has anyone got any tips they can share please to help me avoid future disasters?

Reaction score
Grease then baking parchment/paper the tin,and wait til cake is almost cool before taking the paper off.

Reaction score
I think I'm right in saying that Teflon is used in a lot of tins and they don't really do much of a job when it comes to things not sticking to them, my pans are a nightmare. I use oil to grease my tins over butter and have a pretty good rate of success.

Reaction score
I add a little bit of oil and spread it around with a paper towel, then put about a tablespoon or more of flour in the pan. I then shake it around and add more flour if needed, until the entire greased part has been coated with a light layer of flour. Never really have any problems with sticking.

Reaction score
I usually grease the pan, and flour the bottom of the cake pan, too. I used to have trouble because I tried to take the cake out of the pan too soon, before it had cooled enough. Once I learned to let the cake set until it cooled, it came out of the pan easier.
I put the platter on top of the cake pan, and then turn the whole ting over, so there is no chance of the cake splitting and falling out when i turn it over.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about oil, I hadn't considered that. Does any of the oil get absorbed into the cake at all? I'm worried about it making the cake taste a bit oily! Do you put flour on after the butter and oil or just butter and oil?

Reaction score
Have you tried the nonstick cooking spray for baking?
It has a bit of flour in it and it is supposed to a bit of flour in it to help your baking good come out of the pan clean.
I have not used it yet , but i have head good thing.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about oil, I hadn't considered that. Does any of the oil get absorbed into the cake at all? I'm worried about it making the cake taste a bit oily! Do you put flour on after the butter and oil or just butter and oil?
Flour after the oil or marg.

Reaction score
I always cook with aluminum foil. I spray a cooking spray such as Pam. I dust the pan with flour. I put aluminum foil at the bottom of my tin pan sometimes.

Reaction score
I just brush some vegetable oil over the pan so it won't stick. Afterward, I powder the pan with flour so it won't taste oily. I also choose the oil without a particular taste to be more safe.

Reaction score
I use wax paper, the same idea as Tracky with the parchment. What I do is tear off a sheet of the paper, and then put it into my pan,pushing it into the edges. Then I take a toothpick and trace the shape of the bottom. Then I take it out and cut out my shape with scissors and put it into the pan. I don't find that I need to grease or flour the pan on the the bottom, but some people still prefer to. It should come right out, and then you just peel off the wax paper.

Reaction score
I agree Sgreenwood about the parchment paper. I cut mine and add it to the bottom of the pan as this is where most of the sticky occurs. I do not like to use much oil or grease as I find that it kind of frys the sides and bottoms of the cake giving it a crunchy crust...it could be that I used too much. If you make cakes a lot, invest in really good baking pans as these help with sticking issues too. You will pay more for them, but it is worth avoiding the nightmares :)

Reaction score
If you grease the pan, and I mean the entire pan and add flour to the entire pan your baked goods will not stick. Also if you make sure that
your batter is moist. Add enough butter or margarine you should have fluffy non stick cakes everytime.

Reaction score
I always grease my tins thoroughly with butter while preparing cakes and it never sticks. Make sure you grease well and completely covering the entire tin wall. Also, after baking let it rest for few minutes and once cool start removing. I don't think it will stick.

Reaction score
Flour after the oil or marg.
I also saw someone on a cooking show (don't remember which one, actually take some of the cake mix and use it on top of the oil on the pan, so you don't have white flour showing on your cake. I thought this was a good idea.:D

Reaction score
I had this exact problem with a cake just a few days ago. One came out of the pan beautifully, the other not so much. It was suggested to me to take wet wash clothes and wrap around the sides and bottom of the pan and gently shake until the cake came loose. I admit, I was very skeptical at first. I was thinking there was no way something so simple would work. Much to my surprise though, took about 15 seconds and the cake came right out. I was kind of shocked!

Reaction score
Wow, this is really great to know! If I get into trouble with a cake, I will definitely try this. I have had cakes stick in one corner and rip and tried to patch it up with icing before (which doesn't work), now I can stop that.

Reaction score
I usually just grease the pan thoroughly. Though, if I'm making a tricky cake that's prone to breaking or crumbling, I'll line the bottom of the cake pan with parchment paper and also grease it lightly. Then it will come out extremely easy, and all you have to do it gently peel the paper off when cooled! The paper trick is a little harder to do in shaped pans, like bundt cake pans, but it still works with a little effort. You could also grease and flour the pan if you don't have any parchment paper. Also, do you make sure to run a knife around edges of the cake (after it's cooled completely of course) before trying to get it to come out? Sometimes you need to do that, because if it doesn't stick to the bottom, it will sometimes stick to the sides.

Reaction score
I always spray it with non-stick spray. Try that. And as far as the cakes splitting, maybe it is because you don't let them cool before removing them from the pan. I used to do the same thing. Now, once the cakes are done, I sit them on a cooling rack, take a butter knife and place it in between the cake's edges and the pan and go around it so that it will be easier to remove once cooled. Give this method a try!

Reaction score
I would try spraying the bottom of the pan and then putting flour in the pan and coating the whole sprayed area. Let us know if it works!

Ask a Question