Tips for Making a Tennis Ball Cake

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member here!

My tennis team is having a gathering soon and I thought it would be cool to make a tennis ball-cake in the shape of a half-ball sitting on a bed of grass (something like this). As an semi-regular baker but one who has never tried making a 3D cake before, I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to obtain a smooth surface and spherical shape similar to the one in the picture using icing only and no fondant? I have no experience making or even working with fondant, and anyway it contains ingredients that I would prefer not to buy or use. As a last resort I would pipe a whole bunch of little stars onto the surface (i.e. like this, but would it be possible to get a better result by simply smoothing icing over the surface?

2) Is there any practical way to get edible grass like in the original picture? I really wouldn't mind using the numerous-small-star method to create a field of grass, but of course it doesn't look as realistic as what is in the reference image.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ask a Question