Skillet Meals

Reaction score
Does anyone enjoy making skillet meals? I don't mean things like hamburger helper, but things that are like that but homemade. Although I generally love more complicated recipes, I do like being able to make the whole meal in one pan. I'm out of ideas, though, and would love to hear some from you guys!!

Reaction score
I like to make homemade skillet meals on the days I work as it is just much easier to get dinner on the table. The other night, I made a gourmet version of macaroni and cheese. I take 2 boxes of the Aunt Annies macaroni and cheese and prepare it as normal. While this is boiling, I cook cut up beef sausage, onion, and green beans in a skillet. I then mix it all together and my family really enjoys it. The secret to good Annies Mac and Cheese is to add about 3 tablespoons of sour cream when you are mixing in the cheese.

Reaction score
Yummy -- that sounds very good! I have never made Aunt Annie's mac and cheese. It's organic, right? I think I have seen it at Harris Teeter. We normally eat Velveeta Shells and Cheese or Kraft Deluxe -- or sometimes the store brand of one of the two if I don't have any coupons. I will keep your tip about the sour cream in mind if I do try it, though. Yum.

Reaction score
I don't know any recipes for skillet meals of my own but my daughter and I are hooked on the Velveeta Cheesy Skillets with the "liquid gold" TV commercials.
They're definitely a step up in taste from Hamburger Helper. Hamburger Helper tried to compete with the liquid gold by releasing the disgusting Hamburger Helper Ultimate meals but there is nothing "ultimate" about those nasty noodles.

Reaction score
Can it really be called a skillet meal if I boil the noodles in a separate pot?

Oh well. That aside, my favorite and fast "skillet" meal to make is taco pasta. I boil macaroni noodles, either elbow or shells. While that's boiling, I brown up some hamburger. After its drained, I add taco seasoning, a can of tomato sauce and let that simmer together for awhile. Then, I will add in about 4 ounces of cream cheese and 4-6 ounces of sour cream. I don't think I could tell you exact measurements because this is one of those meals that I eyeball and don't necessarily measure out. Anyway, I mix in the sour cream and cream cheese with the meat and sauce THEN I throw in the noodles with all of that and mix. I'll let it simmer for a few more minutes with some shredded cheese melted on top. It is so good and such a hit in my house! I'm pretty sure this meal is one of the varieties that Hamburger Helper makes but THIS version is so much better!

The next meal is kind of a "cheat" but I made it a lot when I was single. I would bake up some Tyson (I know, I know) chicken nuggets or strips and while its baking, I will boil pasta noodles such as penne or spaghetti. I toss those noodles with sauce and seasonings. Then, I pour the noodles and sauce over the chicken nuggets. I called it Cheater Chicken Parmesan. :) My husband prefers me to make straight-up Chicken Parmesan, you know, with hand breaded chicken cutlets but I still hold a soft spot for my original cheater dish and still make it every once in awhile.

I hope these ideas help. There are so many quick meals out there that you can make that are probably healthier than what I've suggested but these are still good every once in awhile.

Reaction score
I don't know any recipes for skillet meals of my own but my daughter and I are hooked on the Velveeta Cheesy Skillets with the "liquid gold" TV commercials.
They're definitely a step up in taste from Hamburger Helper. Hamburger Helper tried to compete with the liquid gold by releasing the disgusting Hamburger Helper Ultimate meals but there is nothing "ultimate" about those nasty noodles.

Ooh, I like the Cheesy Skillets too. I used to crave it sometimes when I was pregnant, actually. I haven't tried the Hamburger Helper version as I don't buy HH since my hubby doesn't like it. He admits that he likes the Cheesy Skillets though...I even caught him getting a second helping once!

Reaction score
My family likes polish sausage mixed with home fried potatoes, bell peppers, onions and mushrooms. I just slice the polish sausage into rings, cut up the potatoes and other vegies and cook until almost tender, then toss in the polish sausage and finish cooking it.

Ask a Question