17 y/o seeking career guidance

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AaronPD, Aug 24, 2019.

1. AaronPD

AaronPD New Member

I will be a high school senior this forthcoming year. I have loved baking at home for over a decade. This summer I earned the ServSafe certification and worked for 10 weeks in a bakery in the production area. This bakery is almost 100 years old and makes just about everything. Even though it was super hot and I couldn't take any breaks I couldn't wait to go to work every day.

I want to make pastry my career. What would be best:

. Finish high school and do an internship at this bakery for 12 weeks and work there.
    . Go to college part-time, work at this bakery part-time.
    . Get an internship at a major hospitality company.
    . Go directly to a pastry program. I'm in Chicago and there is the French Pastry School and Kendall College.
    . Go to the Culinary Institute of America for their pastry program.

Thanks!

AaronPD, Aug 24, 2019
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. AaronPD

viv New Member

Yesss!! I love that I’m not alone. I recently graduated from hs (class of 2019) and I’ve decided to go to pastry school in New York. Although I’ve never had any jobs geared towards my career, I’ve had many opportunities where I can present my skills. As for your choices, I would say the safest option would be go to college part time and work part time. Not only does this give you more education, it helps you get money and skills as the same time. HOWEVER if you’re like me and want to risk everything while having fun, go straight to pastry school ;) I mean I’m literally dropping everything and moving across the country. But honestly, just do you boo

viv, Sep 2, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question