3d rooster cake

Reaction score
i need help with a 3d rooster cake found all kinds of pictures but sadly no tutorials im looking for what round pan size to use
he will be sitting down in his crate box i want to make it at least 6 single layers alternating between raspberry and lemon
can some one have any suggestions on how to do this it is for my moms 80th surprise birthday
thanks for all

Reaction score
Why are you using round pans for a 3D cake, especially if it's going to be on a box?

Most people buy shaped pans for stuff like this.

If you are planning on sculpting the image from cake, then it all depends on how big it is going to be, what shape it is, and what details you are going to have.

Reaction score
hi chester
ty for replying i saw a pic of a 3d rooster cake that looked like round pans were used i have looked for
the cake pan but no one seems to sell it. the picture i was looking at shows it cut with what looks like 6 single multicolor cake layers im guessing at this stage. i was going to sculpt the head and tail out of rkt then crumbcoat
the entire cake.& cut out fondant feathers. the crate part is a maybe depending on how big it actually comes out too
like i said im guessing at this maybe 9" x2 cake pan cut in single layers lemon/raspberry with buttercream filling
thanks again
melanie

Reaction score
Hi Flourchild!

Would you be able to share the image of the cake you're trying to make? That could help us when making suggestions :)

I found a video tutorial on making a rooster cake, in this case, the cake is a tiered cake made out of round cakes. But I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for without seeing the picture you're looking at ;)

I also saw this one, which maybe is closer to what you were describing?
http://imgur.com/gallery/hS3CE
https://www.facebook.com/pg/bakeosaurus/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1098079583605193

I am terrible with dimensions but if I had to guess based on the pictures from the links above, I'd say 8-inch or 9-inch rounds. Leaning more towards 9, specially because it looks like the body of the rooster was sculpted out of the cake.

Reaction score
hi ninamari
ty for replying i love the bakeosaurus one i guess thats the closest to what i was thinking i only looked on pintrest for recipes and pics. lol my mom is nuts about roosters im going to try the 9x2 round pans like she did and see if i can get it to resemble a rooster as for the crate its just going to be a 10x2 square cannoli cake with fondant hay ill post some pics and thanks again

Reaction score
Keep us posted!! :D When is her birthday?

I'm not sure if you've done stacked cakes before, but in case you haven't, you'll need to put in some dowels on your bottom tier to support the top tier (rooster), especially since it sounds like you'll need several layers of the round cake in order to make the rooster.

Reaction score
hi ninamari
i was thinking the same thing since it might be heavy i think four dowels should do the trick and no im new to all this baking stuff lol her birthday is aug 22 im crossing my fingers at this point im just hoping it sort of looks like a rooster

Reaction score
Hi flourchild,

Here's a nice tutorial on stacking cakes and using dowels for support. The number of dowels needed will depend on how heavy the cake is and what type of dowel you're using. I've only stacked one cake before and the top tier was very small (only a 6 inch round) so it wasn't very heavy. I still used dowels for support (I believe 4), with a cake board under the top tier. Since you'll have several 9 inch layers on top, I'd go with at least 5 wooden dowels (four along the sides and one in the center). Hope this helps!

http://www.gratednutmeg.com/?p=7143

Reaction score
hi ninamari
ty for the link i also found a really cool website www.artisancompany.com on cake straw support it actually shows you where to place them on what size and shape of cake oh and i also found solid black edible paper so im really excited about doing the rooster tails
have you heard of potion spray its supposed to make the sheets not so fragile check out icing images.com thank you again for all the support suggestions and links if you were here i would give you a hug i will post pics as soon as possible

Ask a Question