Increasing and Decreasing Cake Recipes

Reaction score
Hi All. New here.
I have seen lots of calculations and converters online for changing recipes from for example a 9" cake recipe, to make it into a 12" cake recipe. Everything was fine, until I looked at the eggs conversion. All other ingredients are fine but some of the converters state things like 2.2g eggs "each". Can anyone tell me what this means? Or better still tell me how to more easily convert cake recipes.

I'm wanting to convert from an 8" recipe (x2 layers) to a 12' 9' 6' (all 2x layers). Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi All. New here.
I have seen lots of calculations and converters online for changing recipes from for example a 9" cake recipe, to make it into a 12" cake recipe. Everything was fine, until I looked at the eggs conversion. All other ingredients are fine but some of the converters state things like 2.2g eggs "each". Can anyone tell me what this means? Or better still tell me how to more easily convert cake recipes.

I'm wanting to convert from an 8" recipe (x2 layers) to a 12' 9' 6' (all 2x layers). Thanks in advance.

The only way to scale a recipe is if you bake by metric weight. If you bake using volume (cups and measuring spoons, you cannot scale a recipe.

If you are using metric weight, I will write out the formula for you. Let me know.

Reaction score
Hi All. New here.

Sounds like a wedding cake, I would just use a recipe for a similar size wedding cake.
Or more likely, I'd make a batch of genoise , 2 qts egg, 2 lbs sugar, 2 lb cake flour.
Any leftover batter can be baked on a sheetpan and get used in something else or just toss it out.

2.2g egg is one L. egg.

Ask a Question