Bizarre ingredients in Cookies

Reaction score
Have you ever experiemented with different ingredients in your recipes? Sometimes I like to go off track and try new and exciting flavors and ingredients. You never know unless you try, right? :)
Of the many bizarre ingredients I've tried, one of my favorite is using sour cream in my cookies. I know it sounds a little gross, but they tatse fantastic! The sour cream really softens the cookies.
Another crazy ingredient I have included in my cookies is graham crackers. I smashed the graham crackers up and used it as flour to bake my cookies. It gives the cookies an amazing flavor!
What about you? Do you use any bizzare or different ingredients in your cookies? What are they? How did they turn out? :)
Thanks for sharing! Happy baking!!

Reaction score
I love sour cream in cookies. It is absolutely delicious. I will add fruits or nuts along with chocolate chips or coconut flakes. I don't get too crazy with what I put in my cookies.

Reaction score
I wonder if you could make onion cookies. For some reason that rings a bell from somewhere… I think the craziest thing I've put in are white chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Oh my goodness, delicious. Not very adventurous though.

Reaction score
Wow! Where in the world can you find chocolate covered macadamia nuts?! That sounds absolutely delicious! Definitely sounds like a good addition to the cookie... would even be a great addition to brownies! :) Sounds like you are on to something!
I wonder if you could make onion cookies. For some reason that rings a bell from somewhere… I think the craziest thing I've put in are white chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Oh my goodness, delicious. Not very adventurous though.

Reaction score
The only crazy ingredient I've used in a cookie is bacon. The mix of salt and sugar is almost always a winner. It's (of course) a way to change the texture of a cookie and bulk up the final product.

You can top any cookie with bacon (partially cooked) or add this meat in the form of bits.

bacon-cookie-4.bmp

Reaction score
The most bizarre thing that I have used in cookies has been different candy bars. I have had chocolate covered bacon before in candy form, and it was okay. It definitely was not the taste I expected it to be. I have heard of onion cake, but never onion in cookie. I bet it would make a nice savory type of treat, maybe mix it with some bacon in the dough?

Reaction score
I have added hot chocolate mix to cookie dough to make a nice chocolate flavored cookie. Adding shaved orange peel to vanilla cake mix is an interesting way to make orange creamcicle cupcakes. I have also found a delicious recipe for frosting made with that "international delight" powdered coffee mix that was fluffy, rich and the essence of French Vanilla. :) I really think adding fresh ground coffee beans to a cake or cookie mix would be an interesting ingredient that would make a nice flavor but I haven't tried it yet. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated!

Reaction score
I have added hot chocolate mix to cookie dough to make a nice chocolate flavored cookie. Adding shaved orange peel to vanilla cake mix is an interesting way to make orange creamcicle cupcakes. I have also found a delicious recipe for frosting made with that "international delight" powdered coffee mix that was fluffy, rich and the essence of French Vanilla. :) I really think adding fresh ground coffee beans to a cake or cookie mix would be an interesting ingredient that would make a nice flavor but I haven't tried it yet. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated!
I absolutely love the idea of putting hot chocolate mix in cookie dough! That is such a fun and great idea! Its so simple, yet I've never considered it or thought of something like that! I love chocolate and I love cookies! The combination just sounds wonderful to me! Thank you for sharing! That is terrific! I cant wait to try it! :) Plus I could serve the cookies with a glass of warm hot chocolate on a cold winter day! :)

Reaction score
I'm pretty out there and open to experimenting with my cooking and baking. Sometimes I'm not even sure if what I'm doing is considered "out there" by some people or not. I like using some hot ingredients occasionally. My nephew LOVES anything hot, the hotter the better, so we experiment with different ideas sometimes. One that he really loved was ghost chili...we used a ghost chili seasoning salt blend. I've used espresso powder and coffee flavors a lot, too but that's not all that out there.

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever used anything others would find weird. Not off the top of my head anyway. I'm still trying to remember to make chocolate chip bacon cookies though. I adore salty/sweet and think my family would love it too. I couldn't make them for the longest time because I couldn't find a recipe with ingredients I would use, but I actually just found one this morning on Pinterest lol.. so hopefully soon!

Ask a Question