shipping ingredients to bake a cake...

Reaction score
First I must say today is my first day on the Baking forum... seems like just what I need to interact with other bakers and ask questions.

I own a new bakery and have an idea for Baking with kids where I ship the pre-measured ingredients with kid friendly instructions, colorful packaging etc...
Since it's in the planning, trial stage, Im looking for the best way to ship safely & inexpensively.
Thinking of drying the vanilla extract in the sugar, buying 8oz Daisy cream cheese packets, using powdered eggs, putting the salt & baking powder in the flour... BUT
ANY IDEAS HOW TO SHIP BUTTER? Is there a dried substitute or do I just say butter not included? :)
Ideas & opinions please

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :) The only powdered fat I know of is cocoa butter - I have some at home but it's pretty expensive, and I've never used it in baking. Plus it melts when it gets warm, so may not be suitable. I'd go with fat not included, and maybe develop a recipe that either uses an easy to measure amount of butter, or oil.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. you should look at how subscription baking kits are being marketed and shipped now. When you say you own a new bakery I assume you have a retail/wholesale store outside your home. If its an in home kitchen bakery, it is illegal to sell and ship food products made in a home kitchen.

https://www.risebaking.com/menu

https://www.sobakeable.com
Yes, I have a small storefront. Thank you. We're already looking at the legalities of packaging and shipping under the same business license. But that's not the question. It's an idea right now. We're working on if it's even possible to do. We're getting people interested and asking because they've heard talk. Thanks for the reply

Reaction score
Turns out there is powdered butter, powdered sour cream and powdered eggs. There's also vanilla sugar. It looks like this is totally doable. I'm working on finding the perfect recipe using the new ingredients. But we won't be packaging ourselves. Hubby is working on the legalities and my partner is working on design... PLUS the bakery is booming... It's becoming its own intity.
Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Yes, I have a small storefront. Thank you. We're already looking at the legalities of packaging and shipping under the same business license. But that's not the question. It's an idea right now. We're working on if it's even possible to do. We're getting people interested and asking because they've heard talk. Thanks for the reply

I suggested you research how other companies are producing and shipping baking kits because there’s a number of different approaches currently being used. Some producers use fresh ingredients, others do not.

There are pros and cons to each approach. Baking kits for the home consumer is a relatively new concept, so the models for mail order baking kits is evolving. The model that works for King Arthur Flour, with there well established mail order distribution center and customer base may not be a good model for the small business just starting out.

There’s also other models such as business to business.

A family friend runs a successful business to business baking company, developing and shipping uncooked doughs to corporations involved in the hospitality and food industries. She created and produced a cookie dough used by a major hotel chain known for offering guests fresh baked cookies at check in.

I only mentioned home based business restrictions because a lot of people get on this and other baking sites to discuss online sales, unaware state laws prohibit sale of online food products produced in a home kitchen. But in California that may change as legislators are considering changes to current cottage food producers laws.

Ask a Question