@cahoots

Reaction score
Here’s the link to Bren’s program. The link is in the description

Looks like a nice straightforward program focusing on progressive overload for beginners, which does make sense. Neat and simple method there, of decreasing reps, and then increasing sets (the volume cycles) whenever plateaus happen. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to simply add weight to my lifts every session or week for a couple years now (god do I miss being able to do that), but with taking a huge break from the gym, I feel like I'm probably going to be back at a "beginner" level while I get back into shape.

I also watched Brendan's Intermediate Programming video, and it was also very informative. The idea of splitting the program into strength or volume days each week (or having a technical day), and also having 4 week blocks focusing on volume, then intensity, are very interesting. I'm thinking of incorporating that into my PPL program myself (or whatever program I'll do, as I'm also thinking of switching from the same PPL program I've been running for years). Given me lots of things to think about!

Reaction score
Looks like a nice straightforward program focusing on progressive overload for beginners, which does make sense. Neat and simple method there, of decreasing reps, and then increasing sets (the volume cycles) whenever plateaus happen. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to simply add weight to my lifts every session or week for a couple years now (god do I miss being able to do that), but with taking a huge break from the gym, I feel like I'm probably going to be back at a "beginner" level while I get back into shape.

I also watched Brendan's Intermediate Programming video, and it was also very informative. The idea of splitting the program into strength or volume days each week (or having a technical day), and also having 4 week blocks focusing on volume, then intensity, are very interesting. I'm thinking of incorporating that into my PPL program myself (or whatever program I'll do, as I'm also thinking of switching from the same PPL program I've been running for years). Given me lots of things to think about!

You have never trained for strength, so of course you can’t put any more weight on the bar. Don’t get mind psyched over the term “beginner” because that’s really about the difference too between bodybuilding and strength. They are two different animals. Bodybuilders are weak as heck. They don’t train for strength—they can’t lift much weight at all. And they never will because they train for aesthetics only.

Bren and his group is a new class of powerlifters, they train for both strength and aesthetics. It used to be powerlifters were fat, but strong as heck. The younger ones like Bren are saying no to that body type. The older powerlifters are shocked that
Bren pulls a 700+ deadlift and squats over 600 just because he looks more like a bodybuilder. Think about that for a minute—he squats more than 3x his body weight and lifts more than 3 1/2 x his body weight in a deadlift. But if you take a bodybuilder comparable to Bren, they might squat their body weight or just above it. Bodybuilders like muscular, but are totally weak.

You have to train in a specific way if you want to be strong.

Reaction score
You have never trained for strength, so of course you can’t put any more weight on the bar. Don’t get mind psyched over the term “beginner” because that’s really about the difference too between bodybuilding and strength. They are two different animals. Bodybuilders are weak as heck. They don’t train for strength—they can’t lift much weight at all. And they never will because they train for aesthetics only.

Bren and his group is a new class of powerlifters, they train for both strength and aesthetics. It used to be powerlifters were fat, but strong as heck. The younger ones like Bren are saying no to that body type. The older powerlifters are shocked that
Bren pulls a 700+ deadlift and squats over 600 just because he looks more like a bodybuilder. Think about that for a minute—he squats more than 3x his body weight and lifts more than 3 1/2 x his body weight in a deadlift. But if you take a bodybuilder comparable to Bren, they might squat their body weight or just above it. Bodybuilders like muscular, but are totally weak.

You have to train in a specific way if you want to be strong.
Of course that's correct. I've wanted to transition to strength training for a while since I found lifting heavier more fun than just lifting for aesthetics. But my program has never actually been specifically focused on strength. It'll be something to look forward to then when I can get back to the gym, finally switching up my program and focusing more on strength training.

Reaction score
Of course that's correct. I've wanted to transition to strength training for a while since I found lifting heavier more fun than just lifting for aesthetics. But my program has never actually been specifically focused on strength. It'll be something to look forward to then when I can get back to the gym, finally switching up my program and focusing more on strength training.

The nice thing is you can have both. In the past people thought you had to choose either strength or aesthetics. But you can be strong and still be ripped.

Reaction score
I purchased motocross gripper motorcycle seat fabric to put on my bench. The biggest complaint with benches is the fabric is too slippery. With a competitive bench press and especially for women you have to have a good arch. Bren and I were discussing bench fabric and I thought motorcycle seat fabric would work best Since it’s designed to grip so the writer doesn’t slip off the seat, especially when it’s raining.

One of his good friends, who is also one of his clients, rides a motorcycle all the time. He mentioned that one of the bench manufactures covers their competitive bench with the motorcycle fabric.

Bren also used a bench in competition that had just been reupholstered and he thinks they used motorcycle seat vinyl. He said it was the best bench he ever used because it gripped so well. Couple weeks ago I was at his house and we were spotting him for 390+lb bench. He lost his back grip on the bench and missed the second lift.

So it the vinyl works well I see about getting him a bench and getting it custom covered.

Reaction score
I purchased motocross gripper motorcycle seat fabric to put on my bench. The biggest complaint with benches is the fabric is too slippery. With a competitive bench press and especially for women you have to have a good arch. Bren and I were discussing bench fabric and I thought motorcycle seat fabric would work best Since it’s designed to grip so the writer doesn’t slip off the seat, especially when it’s raining.

One of his good friends, who is also one of his clients, rides a motorcycle all the time. He mentioned that one of the bench manufactures covers their competitive bench with the motorcycle fabric.

Bren also used a bench in competition that had just been reupholstered and he thinks they used motorcycle seat vinyl. He said it was the best bench he ever used because it gripped so well. Couple weeks ago I was at his house and we were spotting him for 390+lb bench. He lost his back grip on the bench and missed the second lift.

So it the vinyl works well I see about getting him a bench and getting it custom covered.
I hope the vinyl works well :) Never even gave any thought about the actual bench fabric before, but when you're training for competitions then it makes sense that the material becomes important since every little bit matters. I gotta keep all this information in hand in case one day I decide to set up my own home gym.

Reaction score
I hope the vinyl works well :) Never even gave any thought about the actual bench fabric before, but when you're training for competitions then it makes sense that the material becomes important since every little bit matters. I gotta keep all this information in hand in case one day I decide to set up my own home gym.

When you graduate from university and get your own place, think about setting up your own gym. Now that I’m setting my up, I regret I didn’t do it sooner. In the past I’ve had some free weights and a commercial elliptical machine. Working out with my own equipment is so much better. I feel like I can concentrate on my form. I don’t have to worry about holding anyone up, or someone working in.

Reaction score
When you graduate from university and get your own place, think about setting up your own gym. Now that I’m setting my up, I regret I didn’t do it sooner. In the past I’ve had some free weights and a commercial elliptical machine. Working out with my own equipment is so much better. I feel like I can concentrate on my form. I don’t have to worry about holding anyone up, or someone working in.
Haha there are so many things to do when settling down in your own place after finishing school. But I totally get the benefits of setting up a home gym sooner - having it a year earlier means a year's worth of gym memberships that you've saved on. And as you mentioned before, either you have to settle for crappy commercial gyms that have dozens of extra treadmills and niche machines, but never enough benches and squat racks, or you gotta pay a premium for a powerlifting gym.

Ask a Question