Can I incorporate sesame seeds into an existing cookie recipe?

Reaction score

I have a favorite recipe for a soft cookie that uses half almond flour and half brown whole wheat flour that I bake very frequently.

Lately I’ve gotten the idea that sesame seeds incorporated into the dough would be a nice variation on this cookie. But I’m not sure how to go about adding sesame seeds. Every cookie recipe I find online is specifically for “sesame seed cookies” and involves putting the sesame seeds on top of the cookie. I just want to add a sesame seed dimension to my current cookies.

Can anyone tell me if my idea is likely to be successful, and how to go about it? Could I just add, say, 1/2 cup of toasted sesame seeds into my recipe with currently includes (approximately) two cups of flour, 1/2 cup of butter, and 2 eggs? Or should I reduce one of the existing ingredients? Or is adding sesame seeds into better a nonstarter as a baking idea?

Thanks for your advice.

Reaction score

I have a favorite recipe for a soft cookie that uses half almond flour and half brown whole wheat flour that I bake very frequently.

Lately I’ve gotten the idea that sesame seeds incorporated into the dough would be a nice variation on this cookie. But I’m not sure how to go about adding sesame seeds. Every cookie recipe I find online is specifically for “sesame seed cookies” and involves putting the sesame seeds on top of the cookie. I just want to add a sesame seed dimension to my current cookies.

Can anyone tell me if my idea is likely to be successful, and how to go about it? Could I just add, say, 1/2 cup of toasted sesame seeds into my recipe with currently includes (approximately) two cups of flour, 1/2 cup of butter, and 2 eggs? Or should I reduce one of the existing ingredients? Or is adding sesame seeds into better a nonstarter as a baking idea?

Thanks for your advice.

Yes you can add the sesame seeds right into your dough. Just slightly toast them first to bring out the flavor.

But if you like sesame seeds, then make a benne wafer. This is my favorite cookie.

There’s a lot of recipes on the Internet, a lot of them are incorrect in that they are more a cookie than a wafer. A benne is made with more sugar and sesame seeds then flour. It is a flat wafer.

You can go online and look for a recipe and decide what you like or not.

It’s a regional Low country cookie from Charleston.

This is a commercially produced benne, but this is what a benne is suppose to be like.

Ask a Question