Caramel Questions

Discussion in 'Desserts' started by Rainbow, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Rainbow

Rainbow Active Member

So, i have questions for those who makes caramel pudding or custard pudding..
    Is it normal for the caramel get harden in the mold?
    I tried to unmold it after set up but i have some left over on the bottom of the mold.. i'm using aluminum mold.. is that the reason why my caramel didnt came out nicely? or is it just normal?
    images (4).jpg

i want to make something like this (pic from google)

Rainbow, Feb 25, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. Rainbow

Becky Administrator

Which recipe are you following? The caramel shouldn't stick to the mould. The usual order of things is; make the caramel and allow it to harden in the mould. Make the custard, pour it into the moulds and bake in a bain marie until the custard has set. Let them cool, and leave them in the fridge overnight (so that the caramel is absorbed into the custard). When you're ready to serve them, turn them out onto a plate.

Perhaps they hadn't been left long enough after baking for the caramel to absorbed?

Becky, Feb 25, 2016
    Rainbow likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Rainbow

Trellum Well-Known Member

I agree with Becky... I have made this dessert several times, and the caramel is never supposed to stick to the pan. Odds are your caramel was too dense? It'd be interesting to see what recipe you used, only then we can tell you for sure what went wrong, but most likely it was the recipe the one to blame for this.

Trellum, Feb 25, 2016
    Rainbow likes this.
  4. Rainbow

Rainbow Active Member

Becky and Trellum:
    For caramel: 4 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp water.. then i added another 1-2 tbsp after golden brown..

am i doing something wrong?
    I've been making 4 times!! got frustrated with the caramel thing.. trying to steam, bain marie but all failed :( :(

the caramel always stick on the mold like soft candies.. :(

and i let it cool in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours.. is it too soon to unmold them? help help help... :(

Rainbow, Feb 25, 2016
  5. Rainbow

Rainbow Active Member

oh and for the custard: 125 ml milk and 2.5 tbsp sugar and 1 egg..

Rainbow, Feb 25, 2016
  6. Rainbow

Rainbow Active Member

Here is the recipe i follow.. and for the custard i make in a small portion.. her pudding come out so great.... why i cant???? :( :( whats wrong?

Rainbow, Feb 25, 2016
  7. Rainbow

Zyni Well-Known Member

Isn't caramel supposed to have butter? Maybe it's different for this particular recipe.

Above they said to let it sit in the fridge overnight, so maybe 3-4 hours just isn't long enough.

Sorry you are feeling frustrated. I hope you can make it work.

Zyni, Feb 25, 2016
    Rainbow likes this.
  8. Rainbow

Rainbow Active Member

Oh.. should i add butter??
    I make some yesterday and left them on the fridge.. so i'll check it today and lets see whats happen..

anyways, thank you all :D

Rainbow, Feb 25, 2016
  9. Rainbow

Becky Administrator

I don't think you need to add butter to the caramel - hopefully the only change you need to make is to leave them for longer after they are cooked. How did they turn out?

Becky, Feb 26, 2016
    Rainbow likes this.
  10. Rainbow

Rainbow Active Member

they turn out like this.. still some left over caramel in the mold.. its stick there like soft candies.. :(

Pudding.jpg

Rainbow, Feb 27, 2016
  11. Rainbow

ChesterV Well-Known Member

For it to get hard in the mold, I would say you are either leaving it to cool too long in the mold, or you baked it too long and it stuck to the mold.

When using sugar for making caramel, usually....thats the only two things that can happen to it that it does not turn out right. Over cooked, or gotten cold.

ChesterV, Feb 27, 2016
    Rainbow likes this.
  12. Rainbow

Rainbow Active Member

oh! maybe you're right..
    after i pour the caramel in the mold, i left and make the custard.. maybe for about 15 minutes before i pour the custard.. too long??

i will try again soon (after i eat all of that failed pudding in the fridge)..

Thank you! :)

Rainbow, Feb 27, 2016
    Zyni likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question