Decorating a cake with store bought icing or homemade icing?

Reaction score
i want to get better at my cake decorating skills and my piping and the first time i practiced my mom said the icing (that was store bought) was a little too thin and i need something thicker. yesterday i went to the store with my friend to get more icing and there was a can that said it was made with cream cheese and i wondered if it was thicker than the ones made without it. i need help with knowing if it’s better to decorate a cake with store bought icing and maybe refrigerate it for a bit before i use it or to make homemade icing. thank you!!!

Reaction score
i want to get better at my cake decorating skills and my piping and the first time i practiced my mom said the icing (that was store bought) was a little too thin and i need something thicker. yesterday i went to the store with my friend to get more icing and there was a can that said it was made with cream cheese and i wondered if it was thicker than the ones made without it. i need help with knowing if it’s better to decorate a cake with store bought icing and maybe refrigerate it for a bit before i use it or to make homemade icing. thank you!!!
Oh my goodness, don’t waste your money buying all that icing just to practice decorating. Make practice icing.

4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup Crisco shortening
scant 1/4 cup water

sift the powdered sugar

cream the shortening
then alternately add small amounts of the powdered sugar and water into the shortening

you can add a little more powdered sugar or water to get it to the consistency you need. It’s not for eating. You can reuse it just store in an airtight container. Don’t waste your money on that store-bought icing. I guarantee if you take a beginner cake class they’re going to teach you how to make this.

and you know you can buy a dummy cake from a cake decorating store. And then you just wrap it in plastic and reuse the cake

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, don’t waste your money buying all that icing just to practice decorating. Make practice icing.

4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup Crisco shortening
scant 1/4 cup water

sift the powdered sugar

cream the shortening
then alternately add small amounts of the powdered sugar and water into the shortening

you can add a little more powdered sugar or water to get it to the consistency you need. It’s not for eating. You can reuse it just store in an airtight container. Don’t waste your money on that store-bought icing. I guarantee if you take a beginner cake class they’re going to teach you how to make this.

and you know you can buy a dummy cake from a cake decorating store. And then you just wrap it in plastic and reuse the cake
i’ll be sure to go to my cake supply store thank you so much!!

Reaction score

4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup Crisco shortening
scant 1/4 cup water

sift the powdered sugar

cream the shortening

I agree with making your own practice icing from shortening and powdered sugar but at some point I’d urge you to learn how to make an Italian Meringue based buttercream. It tastes better (not overly sweet), the mouth feel is better (silky smooth and no greasy residue on your tongue) and it pipes beautifully.

Ask a Question