Does your kitchenaid mixer light up inside?

Reaction score
Just bought a new kitchenaid mixer and I noticed that I can see light inside the speed switch slot when it is on some settings like there is a little spark lighting up inside, can anyone who has a mixer tell me if this is normal? I already sent it back once and swapped for another which does exactly the same. I’ve taken a video of it but can’t seem to post it here?

Reaction score
Just bought a new kitchenaid mixer and I noticed that I can see light inside the speed switch slot when it is on some settings like there is a little spark lighting up inside, can anyone who has a mixer tell me if this is normal? I already sent it back once and swapped for another which does exactly the same. I’ve taken a video of it but can’t seem to post it here?

You need to contact KitchenAid customer service department.

Reaction score

Same problem! I bought an artisan this week and noticed the light inside the speed changer. Did you find out anything? My mom's (in America) also sounds different than mine when operating (I'm in Germany) so I'm wondering if the European motor might be to blame? I'm gonna try using it and see if it puts up a fight. Please let me know what customer service says (before I have to call the hotline in my poor German)

Reaction score
Same problem! I bought an artisan this week and noticed the light inside the speed changer. Did you find out anything? My mom's (in America) also sounds different than mine when operating (I'm in Germany) so I'm wondering if the European motor might be to blame? I'm gonna try using it and see if it puts up a fight. Please let me know what customer service says (before I have to call the hotline in my poor German)
I actually ended up getting an email from kitchenaid saying it is normal, apparently the carbon brushes just have to wear in at first

Reaction score
Thank you SO much for this reply! I mean, it does have the 5 year guarantee but boxing the sucker up was not my idea of fun. I went ahead and did some pizza dough and noticed it was not lighting up as much after the first use. Thanks again and happy baking!

Reaction score
Thank you SO much for this reply! I mean, it does have the 5 year guarantee but boxing the sucker up was not my idea of fun. I went ahead and did some pizza dough and noticed it was not lighting up as much after the first use. Thanks again and happy baking!

Thats just the carbon brushes seating to the commutator. Its perfectly normal.

Reaction score
I might as well put some banana peels in the flux capacitor.. I'll take your word for it, it's comforting to know someone understands what's going on, because in my mind a commutator is the correct designation for Vladamir Putin

Reaction score
Theres a krazy canuk on youtube, a very qualified elec engineer who takes machines apart for reviewing, .
at this point in the video he's talking about the skookum motor in a kitchenaid. R rated.

Reaction score
I just noticed mine doing this today! Came across this post by chance but glad I did as it does look a little worrying!

Reaction score
I just noticed mine doing this today! Came across this post by chance but glad I did as it does look a little worrying!

If your mixer is still with in warranty call the manufacturer.

if it is sparking do not run it. It’s one thing for an electrical engineer to assess a problem on a mixer and it’s another thing for you to make a guess. Call Customer Service of the manufacturer and ask the cause and ask for guidance.

Reaction score
My Globe SP08 mixer is the very first machine that I bought that has an induction motor. It is very quiet & with no noise at all. Even at the highest speed!!!! :)

Reaction score
Omg.....I've been on the internet all night trying to see if this is normal. Got a brand new mixer and was worried to use it because of this problem!!

Reaction score
I actually ended up getting an email from kitchenaid saying it is normal, apparently the carbon brushes just have to wear in at first
Hi....I've just pur purchased a mixer and noticed mone doing this too. Has yours continued sparking or have the carbon brushes worn in. Was worried to use it!

Reaction score
Buying a true commercial mixer that has a true induction motor eliminates that worry. :)

Reaction score
Hi, i would like to know if your issue has been resolve?did it stop lightening up inside after several use please?i just bought mine and i am having the same issue

Reaction score
Thank you SO much for this reply! I mean, it does have the 5 year guarantee but boxing the sucker up was not my idea of fun. I went ahead and did some pizza dough and noticed it was not lighting up as

much after the first use. Thanks again and happy baking!
Did yours stopped sparkling overtime please?i just bought mine and it is doing the same

Ask a Question