Tips for Light and Crunchy Baked Hush Puppies

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but tomorrow I'll be making gumbo with hush puppies as a side dish. I wish to bake half though since my mother's cholesterol is high and she prefers to stay away from fried foods. I found a recipe on https://www.food.com/recipe/baked-hush-puppies-231141, but after reading the comments it seems like the recipe doesn't have the same consistency as fried hush puppies. Other recipes online didn't have a better rating and I've never had or made hush puppies before considering that I'm still 14, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips to make baked hush puppies have a more light and crunchy texture similar to fried hush puppies? Thank you in advance! ^^

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but tomorrow I'll be making gumbo with hush puppies as a side dish. I wish to bake half though since my mother's cholesterol is high and she prefers to stay away from fried foods. I found a recipe on https://www.food.com/recipe/baked-hush-puppies-231141, but after reading the comments it seems like the recipe doesn't have the same consistency as fried hush puppies. Other recipes online didn't have a better rating and I've never had or made hush puppies before considering that I'm still 14, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips to make baked hush puppies have a more light and crunchy texture similar to fried hush puppies? Thank you in advance! ^^
deep frying is intense heat that seals in the moisture.
Baking will boil the moisture out making the crust soggy and the fish dryish.
I would try the recipe you linked and put them back in the oven after a while to crust them up.
Do a test batch first.

Reaction score

if you fry it properly the hush puppies won’t absorb a lot of oil

1. make sure you use a good heavy duty pan and one that is big and deep enough to hold enough oil so the hush puppies are about half covered in oil. And then make sure there’s still plenty of space above the oil line. That way if there’s any splatter if you don’t want a fire to start.

2. make sure you have a lid next to the stove that will fit over the pan. Just in case there’s a fire you put the lid on the pan. Then immediately turn the fire off under the pan.

3. Heat the oil to 360°F. Ask your mom if she has a thermometer you can use to check the temperature of the oil. she has one that you can clip into the pot that would be best.

4. When oil is hot, whatever is put in it will fry quickly and form crust. So it can’t absorb a lot of oil. So you don’t want to put too many hush puppies in at once because if you do the temperature of the oil will drop quickly. So don’t crowd the pan.

5. And you want the oil to stay hot so you may have to let the oil warm up a little bit in between batches.

6. you can place the hush puppies on a rack or paper towels after frying. To keep them warm you can place them on a baking tray and put them in the oven on a low temperature.

Good luck. I’m sure everyone is going to your gumbo and hush puppies!!

Reaction score
Hush Puppies and Cornbread aren't quite the same thing, but the first has to be fried and the second can be baked. Cornbread can be made with oil instead of butter for lower cholesterol although you have to use an egg. Anyone who likes Hush Puppies is just as likely to enjoy Cornbread.

Ask a Question