Hi from London.

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently taken up baking after being stuck indoors a lot through disability.
I've also just got myself a Kenwood Chef to help with the hard work.
Looking forward to sharing recipes and receiving help and tips. Hopefully one day I may be able to help someone else with the same, but at the moment my experience and confidence are somewhat lacking.
I'm attempting a fruit loaf this week. I also have a new fan oven so am expecting a few disasters while I get used to temperature and timings.

Wish me luck.

Phil.

Reaction score
Great to have you here @PhiltheFluter! I hope the fruit loaf goes well. Is it a cake or a bread?
It's a bread I suppose, it uses yeast. Would that be correct? I'll get the hang of the right terms eventually. I really like shop bought fruit loaves, so I figured I should be making something I like. I've got enough ingredients to make about a dozen batches, so I'll keep bashing away until I get things right.
I'm open to suggestions if anyone can recommend something easy-ish. I'd also like to use my Kenwood, it's no good it just sitting there looking pretty. I'm looking at banana cake/bread, tea cake, hot cross buns.
I have all sorts of digestive problems due to recent operations. I need to eat a low fibre diet and am really struggling to maintain my weight. So I'm hoping that by making a cake or two(or three) and some lovely bread each week will help me pile on the pounds. Quite an enviable position I suppose.
I've been reading through old threads and this really looks like the place to get me kick started. I've always enjoyed cooking/baking but never had the time. I now have lots of time, though sometimes struggle with energy.

Reaction score
So I'm hoping that by making a cake or two(or three) and some lovely bread each week will help me pile on the pounds. Quite an enviable position I suppose.

Indeed it is! :D

You're right that it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between whether something is bread or cake, and there are no absolute rules. Generally speaking, bread tends to be made using yeast and doesn't have a high portion of sugar, whereas cake is raised using chemicals or eggs and tends to be sweet. Obviously there are many exceptions - soda bread, yeasted cakes, etc.

When it comes to baking, it's always advisable to find good recipes and follow them closely. Baking is a science, the ingredients each have a purpose and if you change the proportions it has consequences - sometimes good, sometimes bad. Also be wary with recipes that measure ingredients by volume (as is common in the US, using cups) because it's easy to get different results depending on how you measure. Measuring solid ingredients by weight and liquids by volume tends to give consistent results.

If there's ever anything we can help with (apart from the washing up!) then feel free to ask :)

Reaction score
Many thanks.
I'm sure I'll come unstuck at some point in the near future.
It won't help that I'm using a new oven, mixer, and baking tins. It must get easier when your accustomed to your tools.
I'm all set to go with my first batch of spiced fruit loaf, except I forgot to get some oranges-to soak the dried fruit in the juice. After I've made the first one I'll have a trawl through the old threads to see why it hasn't risen, is too dry/too moist, is too sweet/too bitter. I should probably open a new thread so people can chuck advice my way.
I'll need to remember to take some pics too for when it goes right/wrong. I'm quite excited, can't wait to get started.
There's only my health stopping me at the moment, but I'll soon be back on track.

Reaction score
Keep up the PMA! It counts for a lot :)
Indeed, I know I do everything better when in the right frame of mind.
I've been looking at my recent baking purchases, and I need a serious reorganise of my kitchen. I've always had more space than I needed. I've bought a few loaf tins and various other bits of hardware that I didn't have, cooling rack, pizza trays, cake tins, so they'll need a cupboard. I've also vastly over bought dried fruit (I blame Holland&Barrats buy one get the second for 1p). I also went a bit mad buying things I may need in the future. I found a fantastic Malaysian minimarket yesterday when I was looking for spices. They also have lovely looking dried fruits. So I think a cupboard for baking sundries will be wise. I can also free up some worktop space by storing away an electric pressure cooker and sandwich toaster I'll work better in an organised kitchen. Although I struggle with the lifting and shifting things around, there's something therapeutic about a bit of a clear out.
That should leave me prepared mentally and physically, although I have a supermarket delivery coming tomorrow and I think I got a little trigger happy with the mouse.:eek:

Reaction score
I have a supermarket delivery coming tomorrow and I think I got a little trigger happy with the mouse.:eek:

There are worse problems to have! :D I know what you mean re H&B, their offers are always so tempting. You have reminded me that I need to have a kitchen clear out too, might make a start this weekend. You're right that it's always very therapeutic in the end, it's just making a start that I struggle with ;)

Ask a Question