How do you stay focused on stuff you hate to do?

Reaction score
So for the past week I've been working on stuff I really hate. Paperwork for stuff that is not related on any topic I enjoy. I swear I have to get up from my computer every 10 minutes. I just pace between my workstation and the kitchen to avoid looking at the computer screen. Which of course slows the process and makes it more unbearable. How do you stay focused on tasks that you hate?

Reaction score
With work things, I'm a big list maker. I like the satisfaction of ticking things off, even if I don't enjoy the task. So I guess I try to focus on how good it'll feel afterwards, and that helps focus my mind.

With life in general I'm a fan of Stoicism (although I only realised recently). It basically says that you can't control everything that happens to you but you can control how your react to it and deal with things, so always try to make the best out of every situation. That mindset has got me through some tough times :)

Reaction score
With work things, I'm a big list maker. I like the satisfaction of ticking things off, even if I don't enjoy the task. So I guess I try to focus on how good it'll feel afterwards, and that helps focus my mind.

With life in general I'm a fan of Stoicism (although I only realised recently). It basically says that you can't control everything that happens to you but you can control how your react to it and deal with things, so always try to make the best out of every situation. That mindset has got me through some tough times :)

That’s really good advise. I’ve been so stressed. I had to complete a bunch a legal docs for my divorce, including writing a 10 page legal declaration. Agh! It was stressful. And you’re right, I cannot control what is placed in my life, but I can control how I respond. Which is good to keep in mind. I have a conference call with my attorney in the morning; he said he has a lot of info for me. So I’ll just listen and not make any decisions during the conference. Just take some time to process.

Sorry I’m rambling...

Reaction score
That sounds tough, I'm sorry you're going through that right now. It's also ok to recognise if you're getting overwhelmed, it's sometimes better to take a step back to relax than to plough on regardless. I think that's a good idea re the phone call, hope it all goes well :)

Reaction score
That sounds tough, I'm sorry you're going through that right now. It's also ok to recognise if you're getting overwhelmed, it's sometimes better to take a step back to relax than to plough on regardless. I think that's a good idea re the phone call, hope it all goes well :)

geez, it was a long call, and even longer follow-up email. But stuff is getting done. I have a few tasks to do for my brother and his business. Then I can get back to baking a few days.:D

I have an elderflower entremet recipe I want to try...

Ask a Question