Converting Muffin Recipe to Cake: Need Help

Reaction score
Today I tested out a recipe that my sister wants me to use for my nephews smash cake for his first birthday. The recipe is actually a muffin recipe and I want to try to convert it to a cake and I’m not sure how. I would really appreciate any help you could give.

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Tsp vanilla
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 cup flour
1 Tsp baking soda
1 Tsp baking powder
1/2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp cinnamon

If anyone has any ideas on how to keep these ingredients but make it more cake like instead of a muffin.
Any advice would be appreciated.

This is how they turned out:

1E1A53D4-DD2D-4D78-966E-D0AD8F93763E.jpeg

6A7DCD4D-02C5-4415-9280-372F013E7713.jpeg

ED996B5E-9F68-4AF0-8B70-BC87FFB086DC.jpeg

Reaction score
Hi @Angie CupcakeQueen,
To achieve a cake like texture is tough with these ingredients. Applesauce and oatmeal will create a lot of weight in the cake.

You could try ribboning the egg and sugar, which is beating the egg and sugar together for a few minutes.

Then add the applesauce to the egg and sugar.

Pulverize the oatmeal into a flour. Thoroughly whisk the flour, oat, baking powder and soda together. Then mix the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.

Reaction score
Hi @Angie CupcakeQueen,
To achieve a cake like texture is tough with these ingredients. Applesauce and oatmeal will create a lot of weight in the cake.

You could try ribboning the egg and sugar, which is beating the egg and sugar together for a few minutes.

Then add the applesauce to the egg and sugar.

Pulverize the oatmeal into a flour. Thoroughly whisk the flour, oat, baking powder and soda together. Then mix the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.

Thank you! I’m going to have to try that to see if it works.

Ask a Question