Do ingredients play the same role in each recipe?

Reaction score
Hi. I want to understand this. Does the role each ingredient plays in a baked product the same?

For example, the role (science) flour, fat, eggs, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, yeast, milk, buttermilk, etc (if the particular ingredient has to be used in a recipe) plays in a recipe the same in let's say cakes, cookies, bread, etc?

Reaction score
Hi. I want to understand this. Does the role each ingredient plays in a baked product the same?

For example, the role (science) flour, fat, eggs, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, yeast, milk, buttermilk, etc (if the particular ingredient has to be used in a recipe) plays in a recipe the same in let's say cakes, cookies, bread, etc?

It's definitely not the same. One type of flour might work really well for those muffins, but for pancakes, it just doesn't. I've found a huge difference with flour and sugars and adjusted my ingredients depending on what I'm making. For instance, I have found that a more coarsely ground sugar is best in cookies. The more finely ground, the more cookies will burn on the edges, or will have almost a burned sugar taste to them.

All that said, there is a science to baking/cooking. How different sources of heat react to ingredients, how ingredients react to other ingredients, the types of pans, the moisture held in by an electric oven vs the lack of moisture in a gas one, etc. In my early years of baking, I found that each time I happily tried a new recipe, it was not only fun, but a learning experience. I paid very close attention (and still do) as to how all the elements work together to make the perfect treat... or not.

Reaction score
Thank you @Sharzi for answering. I want to understand this. I know egg is for structure in cakes. Does it mean eggs play a,different role in let's say bread?

Reaction score
Thank you @Sharzi for answering. I want to understand this. I know egg is for structure in cakes. Does it mean eggs play a,different role in let's say bread?

Eggs will mainly bind ingredients. But in certain recipes, as with bread, it seems to me it lends it's water content to it to keep it moist.

Ask a Question